Blue/Black Orps & Ameraucanas, 4 & 2 Wks Old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Nov 10, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just an update if anyone is interested. Got a very unusual-colored chick that is supposed to be black here, but that comes from his grandmother's side of the family. She was blue, but more of what you might call a breeder cull, so she passed on a "wild gene" to her grandson here. The other two seem the color they're supposed to be, though. Three black Ameraucanas, one Blue Orpington and one Black Orpington, both of the Orps are boys. Naturally. These two are both from Velvet and Suede. Then my Barred Rock babies, Gabriel and his sister. The 4 wk olds are at the really scruffy stage. I think the little Ameraucana in the second pic is a cockerel, but not quite sure yet. The tiny Ameraucana, who refused to have its picture taken tonight, seems to me to be a pullet. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Cyn, very nice pics. Are you sure your blue is not a lavender? I don't see any lacing yet.

Btw..I got my lavender orp cockerel the other day. [​IMG] I will soon be on my way. I will post a pic after he settles in a bit. He is super sweet and knows his name. It is so funny, I go out and call "here Lester" and he comes running over to me. Can't wait to see him fill out more. [​IMG]

Jody

3. speckledhen

Jody, that baby came from Suede and Velvet, so I'm sure he's just an extra light blue. Even Suede and Velvet don't have much lacing nor does Skye, even though they're from different lines. I need a black pullet to breed to Suede to get some better lacing into the lines. And, that little Ameraucana on the edge of the brooder-cockerel, ya think?
    Congrats on the lavender boy! Can't wait to see him!

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Here's another "I can't wait" post.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

2 weeks to go..... All systems are a go..... Ho Ho Ho

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I WANT THAT BLUE BOY! He is sooooooo cute!

6. speckledhen

Thanks, Adam. He is so calm, too, not in the least skittish since DH worked his chickenwhisperer charms on him, LOL. Now, I just need a pullet to pop out of the egg that's on Day 18 now. I love the roosters, but there's only so many I need and can handle.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are gorgeous, Cyn. If you plan to keep him a while I would really be interested in seeing how that one with the 'wild' gene fills out with his mature feathering.

8. speckledhen

Well, Priss, I'll keep him until someone else wants him. He's a pistol, that boy. I bet he'll be really beautiful some day. They are all so scruffy right now, LOL.

9. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Love the pic of the first barred rock, he looks suspeciously up to something

10. chickenfeathers

chickenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

If we lived closer, I'd take him in a heartbeat. S-o-o cute!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by