Blue, Black, Splash Orp Babies-Sexing Opinions, Plz

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Jan 20, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tried to take pics of several of the Orps in the brooder without DHs help (he has a headache tonight). There are six down there, but I just got pics of one blue, two blacks and the splash. Out of three blacks, I believe these two are pullets. Of two blues, I think this one is a pullet and the splash is getting an orangey comb-horrors! It isn't overly arched like most of the cockerels' combs at that age (almost 3 weeks old), but the color is more orange than yellow now, not a good sign.
    First, the two blacks, then the blue and two pics of the splash, although not the best ones. Do you concur with the diagnosis?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Is that absolutely the only way you can tell the difference between the two at this age? Theres no other characteristics?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Nope, I've had pullets show signs of orange but no comb development otherwise. It is way too early to say for sure.

Jody

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yay for Jody!![​IMG]

5. speckledhen

I agree that it's probably too early to be definitive on this breed. Recently, I was fooled by a blue that I would have sworn was a cockerel, but turned out to be a girl. I just couldn't have the only three splashes I've ever managed to hatch in three different hatches to all be boys, now could I? This needs to be my splash girl!
    This is the largest number of blacks I've ever gotten, too. Oh, well, getting sexing help is a good excuse to take pics of the little whippersnappers, right? [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Cyn...I say it's too early too...I have two 8 week olds in the house, one I know for sure is a cockeral, the other one is being iffy and I can always tell by 4 weeks!...lol

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    The third picture down, the legs look really thick. Isn't that a sign of a cockeral?

8. speckledhen

Well, you have to compare these in relation to each other because even the girls in this breed have pretty chunky legs. I got fooled pretty good recently. The Blue Orps are a BIG bird and they're BIG chicks, too. That could be a cockerel; like Jody said, it is very early to really say for sure. Gosh, one of the Blue Orp/Buff Brahmas that Adam hatched we both thought for sure it was a cockerel-we called it Sumo-Chick. Had umbrella stands for legs! It was a pullet! That pic could also be the close up camera angle, so it's hard to tell if they're really much thicker than the others' legs.

9. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I can't make a call on those. Too early. give them about three weeks. Some cockerals develop late too and can fool you.

10. speckledhen

No problem. In three weeks, they'll be nicely situated in the nursery coop and hopefully, the weather will be a tiny bit warmer. Then I can get a picture of them in sunlight. Julie, I'll fall over if this splash is yet another cockerel! What is it that makes me send off my splash pullets for others to hatch, LOL?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by