1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

blue/black/splash orpington chick colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by saridout, Jun 28, 2010.

1. saridout

saridout In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    i'm not sure if it's better to post this here or in the gender/breed section, but i'll give this a shot.

i just hatched 7 chicks from breeding group of 3 blue orp hens, 1 black orp hen and a blue rooster. i thought that i had 5 black chicks and 2 blues, but after trying to find pictures of examples of the colors, i'm starting to have my doubts. here are some photos of them:

i thought this was a blue
    [​IMG]

i thought these were black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the darker ones are not what i would call blackest black, more like a very dark silvery grey. do i have these mixed up? is the lightest one actually a splash?

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    The light one looks like pictures of other splash chicks I have seen- you might want to repost this on one of the Orpington threads where the Orp people hang out?

3. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Hi, blue to blue breeding gives you 50% blue 25% black and 25% splash. Blue to black gives you 50% blue and 50% black. So yes that is most likely a splash chick. Here is a picture of a couple of my chicks one is blue and the other is a splash chick. Hope it helps you identify your chicks! Cute babies [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. saridout

saridout In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    these both help, thanks! unfortunately, i probably can't take a photo that accurately depicts the exact color of grey, and i'm sure there are lots of monitors out there that would distort the color too, so i'm not likely to know for sure just yet.

when their first feathers start growing in, will they be the true color of the birds?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Yes they are the true color of the bird, see in my pic you can see the blue has its wing feathers coming in and they are blue. Splash looks almost solid grayish colored for awhile and then as it continues to feather you will see the splash start to appear.

6. MelissaBA

MelissaBA Chirping

Jul 10, 2014
    I have a question...if blue to black gives you 50% blue or 50% black, and splash to black gives you blue, where does a splash come from? Is that a true breed like the lavender orpington?

7. CradG

CradG In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2017
    Just clarifying. I have a splash orp hen. If I get a black orp roo will 100% of her offspring be blue? Can I order a black Orpington from hatchery or does it have to be a bbs that happens to be black?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by