Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Chicks

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
The eggs I hatched from Tuffoldhen have given me some pretty blue, black and splash orpington chicks. These chicks will be 5 weeks old on Friday and have outgrown my brooders. I had no choice but to go ahead and put them out in the barn with a 250 watt red heat lamp. They are big for heir age.

The 4 blues are really pretty -

There are 2 splash but this is the only one I could get a clear photo of -

Here is a group shot of their color. Really pretty shades -

Notice the brahma/blue orp cross in this photo -

Isn't the barring (?) in her feathering just the prettiest thing? I really like it.

There are 3 blacks - The first one is sitting on my husband arm - really plump little thing!

This one did not want to have a picture made -

TOH, I am VERY pleased with these chicks! Thank you for the eggs!

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
Nice chicks you sound like you are adding to your breeding program from everywhere and it should be extreamly strong soon.

Henry

BamaChicken

Orpingtons Bama Style
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Of course I love them. The lacing on the mixed is really pretty.

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
Very pretty chicks MissPrissy.

I wouldn't worry about them out in the barn. I've had to move quite a few of mine out earlier than I'd like due to space needs. They've been out in a brooder area in my coop with heat lamp when it's been in the 20's at night.

Last edited:

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
They really didn't have that awkward sparse feathering period. I love how fluffy they are this early. They are very strong and active chicks.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Lovely babies, Priss! You're right, these don't have quite the awkward stage that most chicks do, unless you get an extremely slow feathering cockerel like Suede was, but that is over very quickly. Congrats!

Top Bottom