Blue/ Black/ Splash

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Schweiger, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Schweiger

Schweiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Augusta, Ga
    I have a pen of tufted araucana chickens. 1 Splash roo, 2 black hens, and 3 blue hens.

I read that if I breed the splash to the black hens that 100% of the chicks will be blue, but what will happen if I breed the splash to the blue hens? I read on some thread all the outcomes of Blue/ Black/ Slash a while ago but I cant find it now. Any help would be great!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Splash x Black = 100% Blue
    Splash x Blue = 50% Blue, 50% Splash

Blue to Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
    Splash to Blue = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
    Splash to Black = 100% Blue
    Splash to Splash = 100% Splash
    Blue to Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
    Black to Black = 100% Black

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=343605

Chris

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    In my splash araucana pen I have a tufted splash roo with a black hen, a blue hen, and a splash hen. I get blue, splash, cuckoo,wheaten, and barred chicks. I just had a batch of 9 hatch two weeks ago and there were 2 tufted blue, two tufted splash, 1 clean faced chipmonk color - so wheaten based, 1 cuckoo, two barred, and 1 cleanfaced splash.

My roo is a wheaten based splash. I have a roo out of him that started out as a silver duckwing looking like this

[​IMG]

then went to this

[​IMG]

and now looks like this with yellow saddle and hackle feathers. This pic is 3 months old.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of another chick out of that pen.

[​IMG]

So I am assuming my wheaten chipmonk chick will probably be a splash also. I cant wait to see.

4. Schweiger

Schweiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Augusta, Ga
    so I guess what you are saying Cash is that even though it is a Blue/ Black/ Splash pen I will get other colors of chicks besides blue and splash. Thanks for the pics. Is it ok that one of my birds has a partial tail? she has like 2-3 tail feathers that are held at a low angle. I guess I should get a picture to show what I mean.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    from what I read Araucanas carry a host of color genes. But chris outlined the general rule of thumb with BBS breedings. Araucanas can come tailed, rumpless, or partially tailed from what I understand. I'm not sure of the genetics behind it but she is fine just unshowable.

6. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My roo in the splash pen has 4 downward pointing tail feathers. This last year from spring till fall no tailed chicks, then fall came and about 50% in each new batch had tails. URGH!!! So while its not great, I am culling for rumpless in that pen, I do get some nice tufts, so that is good. The chicks in that pen do have really nice confirmation also, at least the ones without tails.

The reason I get wheaten based chicks out of that pen is the roo is a duckwing splash. The girls are blue and blue based splash. I may switch them to a tufted blue roo I have and then will probably only get blue based chicks.

Lanae

7. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Here is a pic of the latest batch to come out of my splash pen with the tufted duckwing splash roo and a blue hen and the hen in the picture. You can see the various colors including the little wheaten one next to mommy.

[​IMG]

Lanae

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:If you keep tailed birds for breeding, your fertility should increase. Just be sure to pair tailed to rumpless.

9. cashdl

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I know. My fertility is about 90% with my rumpless to rumpless and confirmation is good so at this point I dont need to add unwanted tail.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yeah, pretty hard to beat 90% [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by