Blue/black Swedish question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Sep 5, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I bought two ducklings that were supposed to be blue Swedish. One looks like the standard with the darker head and grayish/blue body. The other one is much darker, probably more black Swedish but I noticed today that it is getting the irredescent green colors in the head and purplish feathers on the body. The purplish remind me of the cayugas that I've seen, but I never noticed if they had the greenish head. Is this typical of the black Swedish or do I have a mix? Here's a pic from a few days ago, before I noticed the coloring:

[​IMG]

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My black swedish has iridescent feathers, and shines blue, green and purple in the sun.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Oh good - thank you! I've never had this breed of duck before. Do mine look typical? I got them from a friend which is why I'm not sure. Would hate to be calling them something they're not [​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

the bibs are a bit specklier than mine, and it is possible that they may be mixes. Either way, you can call them swedes, and take comfort in knowing that they are amazingly gorgeous ducks!

5. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I know we're talking Swedes, but is your brown duck a Rouen? She has quite striking coloration. I like your white crested with the grey bill too. What a fun variety.

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    chickensducks&agoose :

the bibs are a bit specklier than mine, and it is possible that they may be mixes. Either way, you can call them swedes, and take comfort in knowing that they are amazingly gorgeous ducks!

Thank you!

L0rraine, yes, one is a rouen and the other is a white crested. I lost count but I think they are 8-10 weeks old. I was hoping for a pair of the Swedes but I think they might all be males except Pierre, my white crested! The name just fit LOL. Does my rouen look like a female? I've never had these before either.​

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The females quack really loudly & the males have a 'raspy' sounding, muffled quack. the difference is pretty clear. if you can't tell by their tail curls, that would be an easy way to sex them, they look plenty old enough.

8. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:Thank you!

L0rraine, yes, one is a rouen and the other is a white crested. I lost count but I think they are 8-10 weeks old. I was hoping for a pair of the Swedes but I think they might all be males except Pierre, my white crested! The name just fit LOL. Does my rouen look like a female? I've never had these before either.

Well I know color can be a seasonal thing, so it could be a male, but otherwise I believe the color looks pretty much like a female for a Rouen. Others here will probably know better than me though.

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    No tail curls yet on any of them yet. Haven't been able to catch any of them to listen except "Pierre" who I know is a female. She starts quacking at 6am [​IMG] I think the rouen is also a female possibly but the two others I think are boys :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by