Blue/ blue wheaton ameraucana sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by harmesonfarm, Nov 5, 2016.

1. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    Hi, we have 2 6 week old chicks that hatched and i'' wondering if they are pullets or roos? I just can''t figure them out...im thinking pullets but i have no experience sexing this breed.
    Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Pretty birds but another 2wks maybe easier to guess, with better pic of their combs & their saddle/hackle feathering. At this point and time, the combs look pale so leaning towards pullets however but it's hard to tell just yet. Will be watching if others peep in, they are very pretty coloring.

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Pullets, though one of them looks beard/muffless... wheaten/blue wheaten females have very pale breasts... males would have black breasts for wheaten and blue breasts for blue wheaten...

4. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    Thank you, i will try to get a better comb photos. No saddle/hackle feather so far and the wattles are not showing yet.

I did notice the muffless too when they hatched. One has them and one does not...my understanding is that they all should have muffs? Is the results of having no muffs from poor breeding or not pure lines? The eggs were pretty small...i'm thinking they must have been pullet eggs.

Thanks for the responses!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree they're both female. Males would have black breasts, makes that color easy to sex after they feather out.

Not sure about the purity of breed. In my experience with mixed breeds the beard and muffs is at least partially dominant. I can't see what type of comb she has, pea combs should also be dominant. You might contact the seller and see what's going on.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullets

7. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    Thank you again for the responses!

I have managed to get a few more photos. I do not know if they are pea combs, they are so small! Lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    The olive eggers i got fromthe same breeder have bigger combs...these are pea combs, correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Olive Eggers have bigger combs because they are male. Your Wheaten Ameraucana have the proper comb type, and the coloring is specific to females.

10. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by