Blue Brahma project

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Jul 24, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I ended up with a large fowl Blue Cochin hen who has a pea comb. What would be the best way of going about making Blue brahmas? Light Brahma cross?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Black Brahma if you can get your hands on them.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I was also going to work on LF Black Brahmas at one point, btw someone here is already working on them becuase they also ended up with a pea combed Splash Cochin rooster. But yes, Light Brahmas would be the easiest ones to get and that would be like breeding to a black in the first cross with your blues.

There are Black Brahma bantams that someone here also has.

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I think that pea combed splash cochin rooster is related to my girl actually, now that you mention it. I don't know that I will ever have the time to do a blue brahma project......just curious the best way to go about it if I ever do.

5. Blue Farms

Blue Farms New Egg

Jul 5, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have a pea combed splash cochin roo with a couple light brahma hens. I have hatched a couple settings from them. Here is a pic of them (not a very good one though) They all seem to be blue so far but are going to have some marking around their necks.
    [​IMG]

6. southerngamebirds1

southerngamebirds1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    northwest florida
    I'm working on a brahma with black neck and tail (like a buff lakenvelder) and buff body
    my male is close to that already, but my female has a speckled chest. Got eggs in bator and I'll go from there

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Umm You do know that Buff ( Buff Columbian ) Brahmas already exist dont you ? Or are you going for a more solid black color like the Lakenvelders ?

8. southerngamebirds1

southerngamebirds1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    northwest florida
    Solid black neck and tail like lakenvelder The one I have gets many complements. If there are some alreAdy out there I sure would like some stock from them to add to mine

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Yeah- that was my guy. He came from Thom Dean of MO. He ended up bleeding a ton of red, so I sold him to a local guy. He has him covering a flock of light brahmas. I hope to hear from him next season and see what he came up with. Nellabeans hen came from the same breeder. I wonder if Dean knows about this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by