1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue/Brown Eggs, Easter/Christmas Eggs - Getting my craft on!!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by MissPrissy, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I asked for non-hatching eggs. For to make the beautiful with!

Solsken Farms and Hinkjc sent me beautiful blue eggs. Solsken also sent me some marans eggs.

[​IMG]

I washed the eggs. Blew the eggs. Washed the eggs again. I heat dried them so there wouldn't be any stinky egg smell over time. I used long skewers and a piece of styrofoam to hold them. I decorated them then coated them in glossy mod podge to protect them.

[​IMG]

Some eggs I left plain as they are beautiful as they are naturally.

[​IMG]

I used inexpensive bead and jewerly making supplies to cover the puncture holes. I added pretty cords and ribbons to finish them off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are - my 2009 Christmas ornaments for my tree. I add new hand made ornaments every year. I really like these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For easter we did similar. We decorated goose eggs. Here they are in a nice glass vase to be protected from little fingers and viewed all year long. To give you an idea of size - the vase is about 11 inches tall.

[​IMG]

Repeat after me -

I can make prettier decorations than I can buy.

Yes, you can!

I will have beautiful ornaments to hang on my tree. I will not be lazy.

Chop. Chop. You are burning daylight!

I will take 10 minutes out of my day to do a crafty productive step in decorating and preserving eggs so I don't have to do it all on December 22.

Come on. You have 5 minutes to poke a hole and blow an egg. You have 10 minutes to decorate one. You have 3 minutes to coat one in mod podge. One step at a time.

Yayyy me!

I double dog dare you to decorate your eggs and make beautiful ornaments for your tree and post them here for me to see! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Those are beautiful [​IMG]

I would love to try this but I'm not very artistic and would probably suck the egg contents instead of blowing [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can do it. I dare you to try. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Beautiful! Are the designs hand painted? If so, you're very good!

5. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    You are awnry Miss P. [​IMG] but....since I have extra eggs I may just have to give this a try, what the hay I may actually beable to do it [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are you serious??? I don't have time to hand paint filligree! [​IMG]

It is rub ons from the craft store left over from another project. [​IMG]

If I had time to hand paint I would sell them at a craft fair. lol

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i am so loving this! i was thinking of something very similar! now i have a more clear idea in my head.

so pretty! thanks for sharing your awesome idea with us! [​IMG]

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Those are spectacular!!!! Geez, I bet you could make a boatload of money selling those things.

I would love to try making some of them, could you give us some craftsy lessons?

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I did something similar last year, only with glitter glue on some, superglue and fine glitter on others. Will see if I can find the pic...

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just a heads up - most craft stickers will not work on the eggs. Don't waste your money buying them unless they are tiny, uncoated paper stickers. The plastic stuff they are making stickers with now is not flexible enough to bend and stay on the eggs.

Miss_Jayne, show me what you are making. I have some more goose eggs to blow.

BTW - goose eggs need a light sanding to be craft worthy. Something about their outer shell that things don't like to stick to.

Also - dirty stained goose eggs - a little oxyclean made into a paste and a green kitchen scrubber (3M brand) will make them bright white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by