Blue buffalo cat food mix for hedgies?

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
Is a mix of blue buffalo cat food and sun seed hedgehog formula okay for baby hedgehogs? (6 weeks) I'm going to switch to all sun seed when he's older, but for now, is it good for the protein?
Thanks

Last edited:
My hedgehog, Chinquapin, eats Purina One Kitten Chow. She loves it and does very well on it.

Your little fellow sure is cute!

I know a lot of breeders who use blue buffalo in their mixes. ETA: I think it was blue buffalo.
lol.png
Look to make sure it meets these requirements -

If you chose to change this food, do it gradually, mixing a little more of the new food in every few days. For adult hedgehogs, most people choose a mixture of several low-fat, adult, or senior cat foods and some hedgehog foods. You generally want around 30% protein and less than 15% fat. Look for a high-quality protein source listed as the first or second ingredient, and a lower percentage of fillers. For most adult hedgehogs, 1-2 tablespoons of this staple mix should be fed daily. Some hedgehogs will require foods higher in fat if they have trouble keeping on weight and/or are more active, while others will need less food or a food lower in fat to keep from getting obese. Foods that DO NOT list meat and bone by product meal, poultry by products, animal proteins or animal fats are much better for your hedgehog.

Avoid:
by products, animal digest
"animal fat"
Blood Meal
beet pulp, pea hulls, brewer's rice, wheat gluten
corn (this includes any kind of corn meal)
BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin -- these all cause cancer
sweeteners (corn syrup, sucrose, propylene glycol...)
coloring additives
nuts and seeds

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom