blue coat on meaties?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kywilber, Dec 28, 2009.

1. kywilber

kywilber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    just wondering if it is ok to put bluecoat on meaties. I heard it says you can't put it on something if you are going to eat it. Going to pick some up when tsc opens up. I have one meatie with a red spot the others are starting to peck and want to stop it as soon as possable

thank you

kywilber

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:You can put Vick's or Bag Balm on it, they don't like either one. Just smear on a big gob. It sticks to their beaks, and it's hard for them to wipe it off, so they avoid it after the first taste.

3. kywilber

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    was worried about it so i already webt to town and bought some blue coat. I will band her before the blue wears off. I will see if i can look more into it to see if they are ok for thier eggs or meant or nothing. I know on alot of the meds you just cant do anything for 45 days.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    BluKote isn't going to hurt anything. I used to use it on my dairy animals' udders all the time and I use it on my chickens now.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If it were bad for humans I'd be showing some ill effects by now [​IMG]
    I always get to wear it whenever the animals do!

I swear the dog is still taking it out on me for turning her tail blue! That's ok, I could still be holding a grudge for the blue paw print on my hardwood floor too... [​IMG]

6. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It isn't approved for food-producing animals.

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Quote:It isn't approved because no one wants to spend the thousands and thousands of dollars necessary to gain FDA approval for use on food animals, not because it isn't safe.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:It isn't approved because no one wants to spend the thousands and thousands of dollars necessary to gain FDA approval for use on food animals, not because it isn't safe.

Yeah that.

I mean I wouldn't eat the stuff straight, might even cut off the purple-dyed skin,

but I would use it on my own skin.
    I don't think it ruins the entire animal just because it was used on an injured spot.

It's not exactly comperable to whole-body-system antibiotics or dewormers.

9. kywilber

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    thank you for all the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by