1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blue cochen red leg/foot infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vicegrip, Jul 13, 2011.

1. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    just inherited a feather legged roo. Came with scaley leg mites and chicken lice. treated legs and feet with bag balm and body with DE as well as bathing in dawn and vinegar for about a month. parasites seem to be gone.
    He is isolated from our flock.
    We have been putting tripple antibiotic ointment on the red areas and terramycin (oxytetraclyne HCI) in his water for 2 days, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
    If anyone knows what this angry red thing is, (it seems to only be at the base of his feathers all the way past his hocks), and how to treat it, please respond. It looks very painful.
    (I don't know if "hocks" is the right word, but just to where a bare legged chickens feathers would stop)

We tried to cut off the feathers to get a better look and access for treatment and remaining feathers are gooey and dirty from all the ointments. By the way, the white feather started to bleed a little, it doesn't have any fuzzies. Is it true that there is "blood feathers"? Also I was told that he is a blue cochen, if anyone can confirm that.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Poor roo! [​IMG]

It might help if you cleaned up his foot (a warm water with epsom salt soak might help heal as well as cleanse the area) and took a picture of it when it's been cleaned off - it will help others get a better idea of what you are dealing with, also that dirt can't be good for an infection (definitely looks infected - or at least very raw/irritated - to me!).

I hope he feels better soon!

3. vicegrip

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    Pickaduck,
    Thanks for your reply.
    This photo was taken immediately after cleaning and soaking. The grease from the bag balm and antibiotic ointment has trapped the dirt in his feathers and they are still all greasy. We are trying to get them trimmed off, but I'm afraid to cut them too close. You are right, cleanliness is a must to help an infection.
    I will try the epsom salt soak tonight.

4. Pickaduck

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Just giving you a small bump in hopes others will be able to offer more advice!

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    It's hard to tell in the picture what you have there. To clear away the greasiness use Dawn. That works great. I would soak the foot in epson salts and let it dry. I wouldn't put any ointment on it since there doesn't seem to be any cuts. You should let the skin breath and dry out. Then take another picture and post it in order to get a better look. I do hope it clears up soon for you.

6. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    POOR guy he has very few scales on him will they grow back ?

7. Pickaduck

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Just checking to see how your roo is doing today!

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Isn't there an affliction actually called "red leg"?

9. Pickaduck

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:I know there's "red leg" in amphibians but not sure at all about chickens but I'm pretty new to chickens so I really don't know! [​IMG]

10. vicegrip

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    I don't know if the scales will grow back. I never heard of red leg, but I read last night that mites enter the skin through the feather folicle and party in tunnels under the skin. That would explain why it looks red and swollen. i sprayed with permetherin today. will keep you updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by