Blue Cochin - 26 Weeks Old and Still Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigSkyChickens, Sep 21, 2009.

1. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    My Blue Cochin is still not laying eggs at 26 weeks old. I notice that her comb and wattles are much smaller than her flock-mates, and I'm concerned about her.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's eating and drinking well, and about the same weight as her sisters. She is low in the peck order and kinda distant/slow.

I don't care when she starts, just as long as she's healthy. Any health issues I should watch out for?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    not atypical i think of cochins. slow to mature i am noticing of mine anyway. slower to go than the other breeds. other opinions???

3. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I have one that looks just like her except dark like the top of yours and about the same age. No eggs yet from her or my buff or splash one either. I'm just enjoying them because they are so pretty. Sooner or later will be fine. Their combs are still small.

Sandy

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just slower to mature. Same thing with my brahmas. Two were more than 38 weeks old (9 1/2 months old) before they started laying. The price we have to pay for the BIG beautiful girls.

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Thanks, folks! Yes, I will just enjoy her because she's so pretty. She's getting a lovely dark collar and is taking on that puffy Cochin shape.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by