1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Cochin Bantam/ GLW...Updated Pics for Help Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Jul 5, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Blue Cochin banty is now six and a half weeks old. The GLW is seven and a half weeks old. Thought I'd put these up for help again. I have SLW hens and they never had this much red in their combs till three months old or more, so I dont quite know what to think of this baby. Seems girly except for that red. The blue cochin is now named Shadow, a unisex name because I was still not sure of the sex. The comb and wattles are showing more red in the pics than I see with my naked eye, so I'm leaning toward cockerel right now. Opinions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Cute babies! They look like pullets to me, especially the cochin. I have one that looks just like her. I've learned to be patient and wait until they start crowing though!

3. speckledhen

Thanks, Ellie. That one had me confused because all the bantam roos I see at the feedstore are so obvious by 3 weeks old. I'd LOVE it if Shadow was a pullet! She/he has nice foot feathering for a hatchery Cochin, I think. I may even keep it if it's a cockerel, though. Give him some buxom ladies to protect.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  4. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    At 6 1/2 weeks I'd say they're female too. At first I was like BOYS! But then I say how old they were. My vote is for chickas.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    my experience with cochin bantams is if they are boys they crow at a young age, so I think if it was a boy it would have crowed by now. [​IMG] cute

ETA: and also the females pink up faster than the orps

6. speckledhen

Well, this is interesting. Dare I really hope I picked out a little lady? That would be wonderful.

7. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    I say girl too they just look like girls so i will keep my fingers crossed for ya

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:I think so! Oh the waiting game!

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Another thing I have noticed with my cochin bantams is that the little "ladys" can have some rooish behaviours. Hm, I wonder what they put in the water when they were developing THAT breed. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

She is a cutie, I must say. The only bantam I own, plus the only Cochin, if you dont count the PoufyHead Sisters whose daddy was a Cochin/Silkie cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by