Blue Cochin Hen x Splash Orp Roo = ??? Calling All Breeders!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChicknThief, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I am not sure where this should go, so I will put it here, LOL.

OK, I have seen several pictures of GORGEOUS Orpingtons on here, and have noticed the difference in their body type and feathering from mine. In fact, the body type and feathering on the other birds seems to me to be rather similar to a Cochin.

So, we have a beautiful Blue Cochin hen, and I was wondering what would happen if I crossed her with my Splash Orp rooster. There would of course be the problem of foot feathering. Would all of the chicks have feathered feet? If so, how many generations would it take to keep the deep chest, short legs, and fluffy feathering, and lose the foot feathers? Is it even worth a shot? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I wish you would try and see how many generations and chicks you have to hatch to get non feathered ones enough for breeding. I don't know what breed they used to create the GL Orp in Germany but seems like it would be easier to lose the feathered feet than yellow legs and rosecomb that Wyandottes have and also you get the body type of the Cochin.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree. My Buff Brahma bred to Suede didn't always produce feather legged chicks. Many that ZuniBee had were clean legged. Just breed those and not the feather legged ones. I agree with Julie. It'd be a neat project for you!

4. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I think I just may try it! [​IMG] I guess the worst thing that could happen is having a few cute mutts for sale, and the best thing could could happen is a couple nice looking birds! So far I don't see a downside. I think I will let Valentine mature quite a bit more before I try this though. She may be a hen, but he is only 5 months old. Isn't it right that it isn't good to hatch chicks from juvenile roosters? Can't remember why, but for some reason that is just stuck in my brain...

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never heard that about juvie roosters. I hatched Charlotte's egg fertile by Zane when he was about 20 weeks old, I think. Panda is very healthy and vigorous.

6. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Hmmmmm, well I wonder where I picked that up, LOL! Now I just need to get mom on board. [​IMG] I think I will have to build my breeder coop and run before she will let me begin to experiment. Which is a totally legitimate request. We don't have room for more chickens in our laying flock pen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by