Blue Cochin is beating up all her friends.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FritzChicks, Mar 27, 2018.

1. FritzChicks

FritzChicks In the Brooder

Jan 10, 2017
    I was wondering if anyone has ever had any issues with their pullets fighting? I have raised chicks 3 times in the past and have never had one ever be this aggressive with everyone else. She will fight with everyone and push them around. She is currently housed with a Black Cochin and 3 Polish and she fights with everyone constantly. I am always having to clap my hands to get her attention to get her to cool down. I was wondering if I could break this behavior. She is about 6-8 weeks old now. It's a constant battle....

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Can you post a pic... thinking maybe she's a HE?

Also, you can provide a short time out away from the others. This sometimes helps. I have had success by removing a bully (out of sight) for about 15 minutes... when they are this young.

Don't know your space... but sounds like more space and some enrichment might help. Are they outside yet? We use paintings with polka dots, and the chicks just love to go to work hammering. :)

:fl

3. FritzChicks

Jan 10, 2017
    Yes, I was thinking the same until I sent pics to a couple people who have blue cochins and they said she's a pullet but I will take pics in just a little bit once I get home.

4. FritzChicks

Jan 10, 2017
    They are in the inside brooder. It's been pretty cold here in Michigan so I am reluctant to put them out in the coop brooder quiet yet.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's the age when they begin establishing the pecking order. Space is essential at this stage. Time to move them out. They are more than ready.

aart likes this.
  6. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    Oh no! X2 on @EggSighted4Life's suggestion, maybe SHE is a possible HE? Pictures will help a bunch!

I am also thinking that they may need more space, how big is their brooder?

7. FritzChicks

Jan 10, 2017
    Here is our Blue Zilla - like I said she is fighting with everyone. The others don't even stand a chance because she refuses to back down and even heard everyone around. She is the one in the back. The one in the front is our Black Cochin. And then we have our 3 Polish.
    blue.jpg blue2.jpg

8. FritzChicks

Jan 10, 2017
    Their brooder is 4 foot in diameter. She is calm right now but she insists on letting everyone know she is charge. I am going to work on getting the coop ready for the coop brooder once it stops raining but I am getting sick of her being so bossy, Or possibly him. But I have never had a rooster act like this either. I have some full size hens that will be bratty on occasion but this is crazy how mean she is.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That Blue Cochin is a cockerel. See that bright pink comb and darker patches of blue through the shoulder/wing? 100% cockerel. And they definitely need more space. Unless it's seriously bitterly cold out, they are ready to live outdoors. Keeping them in too small of a space will just amplify aggressive behaviors.

aart and FritzChicks like this.
  10. FritzChicks

Jan 10, 2017
    blue3.jpg blue4.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: