Blue Cochin late bloomer??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristenm1975, Sep 3, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I purchased three pullets at three months old from a woman who said they were from McMurray's, which I would think has a pretty good success rate on sexing chicks. For weeks now, I've been watching my big blue cochin and thinking those wattles were growing a bit large for a hen. But then my little maran pullet started jumping on top of my girls and crowing and I was distracted from the cochin.

We are now at a new house and my "girls" are in a new larger coop with 10 other chickens, all hens supposedly. I noticed my blue cochin climbing on board a hen and doing what looked unmistakably like mating. It seems obvious, but I'm just hoping there's SOME chance my Lucy is not really a Ricky. She/he hasn't ever crowed, and this is the only time I've seen the mating behavior. What do you think?

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry but yup you got yourself a cockeral, this spring I went & got 4 "sexed" chicks - 1 was a pullet the rest you know [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG] is right. Sigh.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, just think of all the cute little baby chickies you could have running around?! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by