"Blue Cochin". Not.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tikidoc, Feb 7, 2009.

1. tikidoc

tikidoc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2007
    I have a lovely rooster (will post pic tomorrow) and I'm not sure what to call his color. He was purchased from San Hill Preservation as a "Blue Cochin". I understand you will get 25% splash, 25% black, and 50% blues when you order these. But he is none of the above. He is mostly black (that becomes an iridescent dark green in the sunlight), but on his neck, he has a smattering of orange feathers blended in with the black, and a little of the same on his wings. The orange sort of goes from a light orange to a very deep orange, gradually, like a sunset. I think he is quite striking (he is a also a really sweet bird, which helps!), but I have no idea what to call his color. Certainly not blue or even black. Ideas?

2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    when breeding blues it is not that uncommon to get either blue or black males showing some red or gold in their sex feathers (hackles, saddles, and shoulders). this is due to the genes of the bird not being completely able to hide the red genes found at the foundation of the birds color genetically. so he's a black, just not a proper black.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Very well said VComb,,,I was going to say that I have seen it in blue/black/splash birds before,,,,,,,,,But I didnt know why,,,,now I do.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, the base color is showing through due to not enough melanisers present. I had that issue with a few BBS Ameraucanas myself.

5. tikidoc

Dec 23, 2007
    OK, cool. I think he's quite lovely, actually, much prettier than the other one who is pure black. We call him Cabo. As in sunrise (his coloring) -> tequila sunrise -> tequila -> Cabo Wabo Tequila -> Cabo. I don't breed or show so I don't much care if he's "correct".

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    that was very well said, great explanation! All of my Blue New Jersey Giants have this problem from one degree to another that I received from Sandhill.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have a black/blue/splash orp,, he's black, with a few hints of red in his neck..

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's what we're talking about, Jim, exactly.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG]
    Here is one of mine that developed the same way. It's not uncommon [​IMG]

10. tikidoc

Dec 23, 2007
    I'll get a pic of mine the next time I get home before dark. His red/orange markings almost look deliberately painted on. Very evenly spaced colored feathers among the black, and I just love the way they transition from one shade of orange to the next, like a sunset. I think he is our prettiest bird, by far. Helps that he's pretty sweet, for a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by