1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Cochin Roo found laying on side and acting strange.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jvillekychix, Aug 16, 2013.

1. jvillekychix

jvillekychix New Egg

May 15, 2013
    Yesterday we brought him in from the coop where we found him laying on his side the same way he is doing in this picture. We thought he was actually dead. I brought him inside and put him inside a dog crate with food and water and he was standing just fine as well as eating and drinking.
    [​IMG]

When he does fall down like this.. he just sits there and doesn't try to get up. If you pick him up and put him on his feet.. he will walk around normally.

Any ideas?

2. Mathew544

Mathew544 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Danville, PA
    As long as he is walking, eating, drinking, pooping then he should be fine. Do you live in an area with hot temperatures? During our heat wave some of the birds would do this to "cool off" but only for a little bit. I would also be concerned that this may be something neurological that might progressively get worse. I would watch for other symptoms and contact a vet if you notice somethign. But if this is the only thing that he is doing I would put him back with the flock and carefully observe. It is not good to isolate chickens if they are healthy but I understand why you would do this initially. Good luck!

3. jvillekychix

jvillekychix New Egg

May 15, 2013
    The temperature's not been too severe here lately.. 70's and low 80's.. even when we hit the 90's we never saw anything like this.

4. jvillekychix

jvillekychix New Egg

May 15, 2013
    UPDATE: He's still doing this.. and despite his eating and drinking and pooping.. he's getting very thin. It's almost as if he's wasting away although he's eating and drinking.

5. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you wormed him ? This might be an infestation and might account for the weight loss. Is he shaking his head ? Is he breathing ok or is he a little laboured ?

Secondly, is the crop emptying ? I know you said he's eating but is it impacted which means there might be a blockage so his crop will be large hard and heavy but will still be like that in the morning before hes fed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    So what's happening? Just trying to get a little more info.

Does he walk around normally then suddenly plop onto his side, or does he stand still first, maybe closing his eyes or squinting?

I think at this point it's safe to say he's not doing it for the usual reasons. Anyway, these are some random questions which might not be relevant at all, so don't feel pressured to try to answer them all if you don't have the time or don't think they're relevant. Go with your learning and instinct, as always.

Does it look like he lies down voluntarily, or falls, or seizes?

These questions would probably give indication of whether or not it's an injury to any part of his body:

Does he hold one leg up at any time?
    Does his crest/wattles/face go pale during this 'fall-down' thing? (This one could indicate a few things though).
    Are both his legs/feet the same temperature?
    Does he perch if given a perch or does he stay on the ground?

It might be relevant, might not, just trying to cover all bases. Best wishes. The wasting is not good, I have dealt with chickens with various inherited disorders including neuro-degenerative ones. Hope people find the issue or solution.

7. jvillekychix

jvillekychix New Egg

May 15, 2013
    I have noticed the squinting eye thing sometimes he will stand still with his eyes closed.I really don't see him defecating a lot. Not like he really should. I will feel his crop shortly. From what I have seen he just tends to fall over and stay down. We put a little wazine in his water yesterday.

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hmm. Standing still and squinting the eyes is not a good sign.

I have a few random ideas. It could be an illness, always a possibility. It could be toxicity from various things. It could be an injury but I think that's not very likely now. It sounds more like something is affecting his neurological system. Possibly he's fainting.

Does he always fall onto the same side? Does he fall when his eyes are closed?

Can you recall anything you think might be pertinent from his most recent few months of life? Things he ate, did, or possible sources of toxins that were present?

9. jvillekychix

jvillekychix New Egg

May 15, 2013
    He doesn't fall to the same side. Last night he fell on his left. When I woke up this morning he was on his right. I pick him up and he automatically goes to eating and drinking.right now he's standing up..not moving. just standing still. I've got him in a dog crate just giving him food and water for a few days. I felt his crop. It's empty. As far as what he's had access to is just the coop and run. They've pretty well got a dirt floor in the run and I keep the coop floor cleaned every couple of weeks with fresh shavings. He's got access to the same things that all the other chooks have. They get a mix of cracked corn and layer feed with oyster shell occasionally. Everyone else is doing fine... it's just him acting weird. Just took this pic of him. He was quite interested in the camera. He's pretty attentive.

[​IMG]

10. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I have heard of intestinal disorders causing neurological symptoms but I hesitate to suggest anything as treatment because of the risk of losing him to the wrong treatment when we don't even know for sure what's wrong.

How can he be pooping normally if he's not eating? When was the last time you saw him eat? Also, does his abdomen feel full or shrunken, or just normal?

If he has some sort of internal tumor blocking nerve signals to his legs or lower spine, perhaps, it could also impact his digestive system and provoke him to avoid food. If you think he's not eating at all, you can offer honey water as a sustaining interim feed source. Unpasteurized is always best but in the short term any honey will do. Fluids won't impact him like solids so you may be able to sustain him on liquid nutrition until he either recovers if able or dies if not. I'd just make a cup of water available with a teaspoon or so of honey mixed in, and possibly add a multi vitamin and mineral mix to it (in my case I'd use kelp). Possibly a full stomach brings on pain and temporary paralysis or loss of circulation. Just a theory but of course I don't know for sure.

Also if his nerves aren't working properly for any reason it is possible food is putrefying in his lower bowels, poisoning him. Feeding watery charcoal powder mix will help if that's the case but will temporarily prevent him absorbing nutrience so needs to be timed for night time or something like that.

If you use honey, it's not just its natural sugars that will help; it has vitamins, minerals, protein, enzymes, probiotics and prebiotics, electrolytes, etc, but not if it's been cooked. White sugar is not the same and is specifically a food for cancer, viruses, harmful bacteria, infections, etc. White sugar attacks the white blood cells and your body reacts like it's an auto-immune disease, which is why some cancers are killed simply by injecting white sugar solution into them. The body attacks it vigorously as it is classed as a neurotoxin. Please don't use white sugar or brown sugar, since nowadays that's only white sugar with molasses added back in.

Tumors and heart attacks, among other issues, are more common in roosters raised on layer feed. Males should not be fed that. This may be the cause of the problem and it could be why he's not eating. I would advise you to stop asap and supplement his feed with raw or cooked egg as protein, or anything that is not specifically for layers.

He looks like he's in a bit of discomfort, could be nausea or pain. Is his back always looking so hunched? Might he have a cyst or tumor on the outside? They can be hard to find under the feathers sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by