Blue Cochin Rooster Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bgolic, Oct 22, 2013.

1. bgolic

bgolic New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Hi all,

I purchased a Blue Cochin rooster in July as a day old. He is quite the interesting character. We call him "Helmet" because well, he is not super smart. Since he is now 3 months old, when should we expect him to start crowing and being a "rooster"? He is incredibly docile, his best friend is my little Polish hen. He doesn't look yet like any of the pictures I am seeing of Blue Cochin roosters. (Hoping he is a roo and not a hen, but will love him/her either way). Anyone have experience with Blue Cochins? Are they late bloomers?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think Cochins are late bloomers. I've only had buffs but the variety is only color. My Cochin rooster was amid almost 20 breeds and I didn't know he was a rooster till the other roosters started harassing him.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cochins are slow to mature. Roosters often don't crow until 7-8 months. Even for a dual purpose, your guy is still a baby. Post a pic if you'd like to confirm breed or gender.

1 person likes this.
  4. bgolic

bgolic New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks all. Helmet stands at least a third bigger than the other chicks I got at the same time. He is really awesome but very slow (as in I wondered if they shook the box during shipping). It may be that he is just that laid back too ! Which of course, would be fine with me. I really don't care either way, he is beautiful and makes me laugh with his antics. Here is a picture of my "Helmet". You can see his best friend "Poofer Head" in the background.

[​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's going to be one beautiful guy!

Cochins are known as "gentle giants", they're pretty laid back normally. And this guy's just a baby, he's like a 8-10 year old human boy....they're pretty weird sometimes too!

6. bgolic

bgolic New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Thank you ! He really is super sweet and I cannot wait to see him grow up.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    He is super cute. All of my Cochin boys were very calm, friendly fellas. My daughter used to carry our 11 pound boy around like a baby (and bring him in the house for tea parties [​IMG]).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by