Blue Cochin Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zumzumfoxy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Oh cr-----

Stormy might be a boy. Do pullet Cochins have shiny feathers at the base of their tails? Stormy's is an iridescent teal/greenish color (can't tell which for sure). S/he just chirps like crazy; has a pinkish comb and when I first got this little one, didn't have a bump when I vent sexed. You can't see the iridescent butt feathers in the pic, though.

Here she(?!) is again:

[​IMG]

I just now noticed her shiny butt feathers. I love Stormy to bits but I'm seriously hoping for her to be a she... if she's a he and crows, I'm screwed!

I don't see any form of wattle/s yet on Stormy..

Thank you <3!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Get a side ways picture of the whole body if possible....

First off and most important - how old?

I can't necissarily tell, but it looks like the hackles (neck) feathers are pointed, but in blue birds it can be hard to tell.... between what I think I'm seeing (the hackles) I say boy... but that comb throws me off - i'd expect the comb to be larger... If theres greenish tail feathers coming in, also makes it sound more male-ish...

age is going to be important in figuring it out, as well as a full body shot.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    Let's see... about 3 months old, maybe a little less. Stormy's the youngest- when the oldest girls were 9 weeks, she was 7 or so...

But yeah, the comb throws me off a bit, and the neck feathers are long and pretty ambiguous. The wing feathers cover up most of the lower back towards the butt, curling up a bit. They're loooong. Stormy raises her/his butt up whenever I pat the bird, too. :eek:

Heeeeere's Stormy!-

Stormy, side profile standing:
    [​IMG]

Stormy, side profile sitting on my lap:
    [​IMG]

Stormy's butt by tail feathers:
    [​IMG]

Stormy, butt feather iridescence coming in:
    [​IMG]

Thank you! :O

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

That's no Cochin.

As to sex, maybe female. Not really sure.

5. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    =o.o= what? Really?? It's not a Cochin?? The swap lady must really have been confused; she'd called it one.

What is s/he??

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks like a cochin x EE. Cochins aren't bearded. And sorry, but I think its a boy. All of my roosters get those beautiful shiney back and tail feathers. Pretty bird!

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    That's a very nice EE/Cochin mix cockerel. Sorry [​IMG]

8. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    Oh cr*p! :O

I'm really really REALLY hoping that Stormy doesn't crow anytime soon. =|

Stormy's got no spurs yet, just tiny nubs. But hey, if one does, we're more than willing in the NH area to drive to anyone in southern NH/northern MA to swap him for a female (preferably blue or lavender of any breed)!)

Thanks :} I'll keep you guys posted, LOL.. I love Stormy so much. It'll suck seeing him go, but I'm hoping he'll be able to have a happier life living elsewhere if we can rehome him if he winds up crowing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

definately a cockeral - with the muffs I agree on the ameraucana/EE mixed with cochin or something (with the yellow legs and feathered feet)

Definately a cockeral - the tail and saddles say it all. [​IMG]

10. zumzumfoxy

Jun 29, 2011
    No problem :eek: Thanks for definitely helping me figure it out though!

As of right now, I've gotten contact with an aquaintance who sold us Tiramisu and Chai, and she said we could bring him to her. I'm not sure if she'll give/sell him to someone else, or keep him, but it's a place for the little guy to go.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by