Blue Cochin Violet...Day 18 on 10 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brahmamamamak, Jun 12, 2011.

1. brahmamamamak

brahmamamamak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    [​IMG]
    ok new at this .... very new .
    Violet is my lovely Blue Cochin (as sweet as any chicken could possibly be) upon becoming
    broody for the third time in a year I decided to purchase cochin eggs on ebay. We received
    16 and I felt that was too many for her to cover and after combing through the forums for hours
    that first night I made the executive decision to remove any eggs that she was not covering
    the following morning. So we are here day 18 with 10 eggs....I have not candled because I
    have no idea what the heck I would be looking for. Soooooooo I guess in a few days we will
    know what we shall have. Keep all fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. brahmamamamak

Apr 30, 2010
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    She is lovely! Removing eggs?? You mean people do that [​IMG] LOL I just put my extras in the incubator.
    My name is Carrie and I'm a hatchaholic!

Be sure to share pictures of the babies! It's a must! [​IMG]

4. brahmamamamak

Apr 30, 2010
    I really just wanted her to have a couple of chicks to mother. I didn't expect so many eggs. They were a mix of Blue, Partridge and Silver Lace....Unfortunatley all the silver lace were culled ... I have 4 partridge and 6 blue under her.
    I am so excited. I know a good hatch with shipped eggs is about 50%. I would be happy with 3 to 4.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by