Blue Cochin with red on shoulder

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roysnider, Oct 12, 2011.

1. roysnider

roysnider Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    Would anyone breed a blue cockerel that has some red/orange on it wings feathers to a black? If so what it the possibility of the red showing up in the chicks?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I guess what you have is a Er(think Birchen) based on gold with Autosomal Red enhancing the red shoulders, there could also be Mahogany in it, but as long as your "Black" is based on Extended Black, 50% of your chicks should come out looking solid blue or solid black, now if you inted to breed for solid blue birds, its not recomended to use birds based on Gold(s+) because they will show some rustiness in them, so the best blues are based on Silver(S) wich is a Dominant sex link gene(incomplete dominant to Gold, so makes golden if both genes are pressent on the boys)

so what is it that you want to do...?

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Do you have pictures?

4. roysnider

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    Will try to get some up tomorrow.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Wouldn't breed him, no. The leakage will pass onto the offspring.

He's very unlikely carrying Mahogany though, but likely either carrying Birchen or Partridge. Either one with E/E black (solid black or blue) can look exactly the same; a solid bird with a little red leakage. Or red and yellow, depending on if the bird is carrying gold or both gold and silver genes.

6. roysnider

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    The guy that I got him from had blue/splash/black on the place, his splash have a lot of yellow/gold in them. Could this be causing the red leakage in the blues?

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I can't see how a homozygous Extended black roo can leak red, there are black birds based on gold and they don't leak red, on the onther hand Blues tend to leak red...

8. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:I can't see how a homozygous Extended black roo can leak red, there are black birds based on gold and they don't leak red, on the onther hand Blues tend to leak red...

It is most likely just had a good deal of Ml breed out of them, balcks are not all Black, just have other genes extending the black areas.. when this is breed out intentionally or not it has to be put back, or selectively breed against.

I have not seen a Cochin that is ER, all teh Black and Blue Cochin we raised were E

Illia,
    Just because it has leakage doesn't mean its carrying Partridge or been crossed with a partridge, you get some of those with leakage you just have to cull them rather than breed them.

9. roysnider

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    The hens that I was going to use with him are from a black/mottled stock. They are black with good type.

Here are some pic of the roo and the pullets

Here are the pics of the roo wing feather
    [​IMG]

Here is the pullets that I was going to breed to him
    [​IMG]

Here are the Roos that I have also to breed to the blacks
    [​IMG]

Here is a full pic of the Blue roo
    [​IMG]

He is out of some blues that have been breed for several years.

10. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Some may have leakage, some wont. This year I bred a gold birchen looking rooster who was out of a splash mother and a red columbian father to duckwing hens. I have several roosters from these matings that are solid blue or black. Go figure.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by