1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blue Cochin's crest...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rivermama, May 16, 2011.

1. rivermama

rivermama New Egg

May 7, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to this and have one Blue Cochin around 6 wks, fully feathered. I also have 2 barred Rocks. I noticed today that the Cochin's crest looks very small and dark almost like it's decaying (but it could have always looked like this), compared to the other two birds. It may be totally normal but I just wanted to make sure that there is not some sort of fungus or problem with crests that I should be aware of. She acts just fine and is not sick or anything.... i'm just a worried first time chicken mama!

2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    When you say "crest", do you mean the comb? I have some dark blue Cochins - when they were very young, the combs were almost mulberry colored - it took them a month or two to pink up. After you've posted a couple more times, you can post some pics.

BTW, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by