1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BLUE COLOR IN SERAMAS?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigRay, May 17, 2009.

1. BigRay

BigRay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Easley SC
    I am new in seramas and I wanted to know if anyone has hatched a blue or blue splash serama?

2. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I am working on blue and blue/red serama ... but just starting in the project [​IMG] Have eggs in the bator now, it will be several generations before I would call them serama though.

3. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    As I understand it blue is one of the few colors not naturally found in serama.It has/had to be introduced by adding another breed usually OE.Then the bird is bred back to the standard by using the best seramas and the created blue serama till you have both the color and type.Jeff Summers I think in NC has them -I could have the name off a bit.I am off more than a bit [​IMG]

4. OoohOh! I have a tiny cockerel from my wheaten/crele wheaten pen that looks blue-based. Where it came from, I don't know.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

5. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey, do you guys have any Serama chicks? I LOVE the breed, but they don't have them at any hatcherys or other places. [​IMG]

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    ClairedeLune is also the name of our D'uccle! Had to post that!! Hope you find some Serama. I have some great birds, but have a waiting list and not sure if you want to wait that long.
    Just make sure you do your research, read this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=170220

and ask for pics of the breeders.
    Best of luck!

7. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    ClairedeLune...where are you located?...I **may** be selling a couple of my chicks after they get a little older.

8. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I live in Colorado... but you don't ship, do you?

9. idahodebra

idahodebra Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    I have a pair of Seramas in blue- the roo is more of a blue birchen, and the hen is a blue laced. She is very pretty, color-wise. Type on both of them is not the best, but I think their off-spring will be quite nice. I have one chick from them now that I'm waiting to see what she ends up looking like, and more eggs in the bator. He is also mated with a very nice, typey, wheaten hen, so I am excited to see the outcome of their breeding.

I also have jap bantams and would love to breed the blues to them [​IMG]

10. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    I live in Colorado... but you don't ship, do you?

No, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so [​IMG] Sorry! I hope you can find some!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by