blue comb in chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jster, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Oh, I'm so worried about our girls!

Early last week, I noticed our Ideal production white had blue tips to her comb. We researched what we could, and it said contaminated water was part of the problem, or not enough water, so we scrubbed their water bucket and checked her the next day and it was almost all gone, then the day after it was completely gone. We were hoping it wasn't going to be a continuing problem.

Then we had to go out of town this weekend because we are moving 500 miles next month and needed to find a place to live in the new town. My mom checked on the chickens. I didn't get to spend time with them the first day back (because I was working a long day) and forgot to ask DH specifically, and he didn't say anything was wrong. Then last night when I got home from work I saw that not only was the one hen even MORE blue in her comb than the first time, but also a couple of other ones have blue tips! Oh, I'm just so terrified, everything I read says FATAL and CONTAGIOUS about blue comb.

We have some antibiotics and are starting them today. We would have started them last week but with going out of town we had to delay. Does anyone have any experience with this?

FWIW, the temperment in my girls is wonderful, they are all acting their normal selves. Something I read about turkeys said to warm them up, but it got to 87 yesterday and I don't think I could warm them much more, unless I wrapped them up in blankets.

Please let us know what to expect.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The bad thing about blue combs is that it is one of the major symptoms of avian influenza. But I`m sure there are other reasons too.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

True and whatever the root cause, it indicates impairment in circulation and lack of oxygen.

I agree that triggers vary, and you should examine for dehydration which may give you more answers. Certainly electrolytes could benefit, especialy with vitamins.

Were you planning to bring these birds with you when you move?

4. Jster

Dec 11, 2007
    They are all looking a lot better today.

As far as influenza, I haven't noticed any sneezing/coughing/wheezing.

How do I check for dehydration?

And yes, we plan to bring them with us when we move. I'm not totally sure how (we're brainstorming) but it's very important to us. The chickens are a part of our family.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

To examine for dehydration, sit the bird on your lap or stand on a table or platform and gently pinch a wattle. If it springs back to shape after a few seconds, bird is well-hydrated. If the pinch leaves an indentation, bird is dehydrated .

How is the comb color today?

I'm wondering if they got into something mildly toxic and it has gone out of their systems...[​IMG]

6. Jster

Dec 11, 2007
    Their combs looked totally normal today. I'll check in the morning for dehydration...I did notice that the "blue" areas of their combs were sort of shriveled looking, and cool to the touch (usually their combs feel warm to me). I also tried to check for mites/lice last night. I noticed some sand/dirty accumulated on the feathers near one's vent, but didn't see anything that seemed to move. Another one had fairly wet feathers by her vent. I was wondering if the first maybe had a wetter poop and just got dirty? (we have very sandy soil). Anyways, I think we'll get some sevin dust and treat them just the same. I don't want there to be any problems that we can avoid.

Any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate! And we're sticking with the antibiotics, at least a minimal seven day dose.

7. Jster

Dec 11, 2007
    I'd love continuing suggestions! If it would help to take a picture, I will try to in the morning, I keep forgetting.

Anyway...the leghorn that has had it the worse still kind of has it, it seems to be worse in the mornings and get better through the day, but today, even at the end of the day, the tips of her comb were bluish.

We've had them on antibiotics for seven days now, and I'm wondering if we should continue for seven more days? Also, we aren't totally positive if the ones they are on are potent, as we forgot them in the car for a couple of days after we got them from the store and then read they are to be kept in a cool place, which they obviously weren't. We can get new ones from the feed store tomorrow. Thoughts?

Also, we were wondering about adding ACV to their water, but thought we should wait until the antiobiotics were done, any thoughts on that?

And I've been trying to see if there are any mites, I still haven't noticed anything definite but just a few strange feathers here or there. Could there be ANY other causes/problems that could cause the blue combs that anyone could help us eliminate? Any sort of worms? The birds all seem really cheerful/healthy in their mannerisms.

Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by