Blue coming out of blacks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Aug 24, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Seems like in theory this is not possible. However, I ended up with a blue mottle out of two black mottles......and a blue mille fleur out of a black mottle and buff (I think). These were not birds I bred, but birds another BYC member bred and ended up with and I am just curious.

I thought you had to have blue or splash x black to get blue? How would you get a blue mottle out of two black mottled birds??? She does not like blue mottles and so has none on the property.......and her birds are in breeding pens that are covered.

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    To get blue a blue or splash bird must be used. However, blue can be deceptive and can express itself to appear black and a person would not know if the bird was blue. To confirm if a bird is blue.. one would need to test mate the birds suspected to a genectically black bird, for example a Barred Rock is genetically a black bird, if any offspring come out blue from test matings, you have a blue bird that appears almost black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by