Blue continues the hunt for a boy duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Blue wants a boyfriend. Big time. She's just so darn funny. Now she starts to chase after the dogs until you remind her it won't work so well with a dog. She even runs after DH now and then.
    She's dug her own nest under the shrubs and will go lay her eggs in there now and then and just camps out on it for a bit.

For the past few days, she's laying in the duck house at night again. This morning, I let them out and Ally and Cadbury came out and Blue just looked at me and said she was staying put... on the nest in the house with 2 eggs under her. 3rd egg on the floor of the house. A while later, she hopped out and rolled that egg over to her nest, but couldn't get it in since the nest is in a box. She got breakfast and ran back to sit on her eggs. I went to take the broken egg she rolled around and she screamed at me. So I gave it to her in her nest and figured I'd see what happened when I got home.
    Shell all over the deck LOL And egg and white in her nest. She rolled that sucker into her pile and smooshed it the rest of the way and then tossed it out.
    She's not sitting on the nest now, but in the pool.

My poor girl is nuts! She wants a boyfriend!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

Then just get her a ruuber drake thats what i did with my cayuga hens

3. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    It is the season! It's always funny to see people say runners are not naturally broody! They are excellent, protective mothers. I had one fly over a five foot fence when her ducklings squeezed through to the other side. I wish we were closer, I would happily donate a drake so Blue would have a boyfriend. Hope you find a boy.

4. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles &amp; Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Aww poor Blue! I would donate one also... But we are no where near AL... Oh that's right we have all hens! [​IMG] Praying she finds her mate! [​IMG]

ETA: Have you considered getting one from Metzers, and raising her a mate???

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Do we all need to chip in and buy you a black male Runner..plus a Pekin for company and have them delivered so your Dh cant say anything about it

6. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles &amp; Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] As funny as it sounds, I'm sure we would! [​IMG]

7. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I'm sure there isn't enough room in the duck house for the existing 3 ducks and 2 more and ME! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I even have a GC that would cover it... we'll see. I'm slowly working on it

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thats ok....arent you getting a new garage built [​IMG] the ducks can move in there with you:lau

9. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Hahaha my runner girl is so attached to her eggs! Shes made a nest in their night hous and when i took her eggs she was so upset! She threw a tantrum trying to get them from me and running into the fence to try and reach them as i put them on the other side. (I had to give them back [​IMG] ) She was never the smartest (we had to help her from her shell. she was never as bright as the other ducks) Because of this we realised she cant count! she doesn't notice as long as you leave one egg.
    Emily

10. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Nicky - DH wouldn't have an issue having me moving into the new garage (shingles were selected tonight and should start going on this weekend and bricking begins on Saturday, so it should be done in less than 2 weeks!), but he sure as heck won't want any ducks in there.... they are stinky pooping machines [​IMG]

He's already swept it a few times and we can't even use it yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by