Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by snowbird, Jan 23, 2013.

1. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I believe it is time for the Blue Copper to have their very on thread for discussion and pictures. Please only Blue Copper only . The thread will be geared mostly to breeding to the APA SOP so keep this in mind when posting for a critique. I feel any picture posted should be up for a critique.

Look forward to seeing some nice Blue Copper fowl pictures posted. Post your questions and I am sure they will be answered.

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    :celebrate

:clap

Thank you for starting this thread Don!

Will we also be discussing Splash Coppers on this thread, or we will not? :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Kim, I see no reason why you cannot discuss the splash Copper. I just added a thread for BBS and the splash there would be different. I believe if we use these threads it should slow the main Marans down a bit.

4. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    WESOME!!!!!!!!!

I think this is a great idea!

Bring on the BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!

5. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

6. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Anyone care to say what gives the Blue Copper the RED look to the Wing Bow, wing front, wing covert or wingBar, secondaries or wing bay, ? Any ideas welcome.

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

Is it because they carry Mahogany? Mahogany will express as red in the wing bow of Copper Marans.

8. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I would say basically that you are right. If the Black Copper is used too much with the Blue Copper this red wing will show up. This happens with other breeds of fowl also.

9. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I've been reading alot about Mahogany and it's effects on plumage. I am dealing with Mahogany in my birds.....I believe I have my work cut out for me and breeding it out...on top of the Mh....I am also dealing with melanisers, but I truly believe that the Blue Coppers are worth the efforts and as you know, I am a Blue Copper gal through and through to the end. :)

10. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    So how often should a person use a Black Copper with their blues? And would you mind explaining what the benefits of using a Black Copper from time to time would be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by