Blue Copper Maran Chicks, 4-5 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MsMonicaMc, Mar 20, 2016.

1. MsMonicaMc

MsMonicaMc New Egg

Mar 19, 2016
    Pullets or Cockrells?? My mind changes everytime I look at them. Can anyone please help sex them? Any guesses? I'm new to this breed...... Thank you!!!!! [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    They are still very young and it's impossible to know for sure as of now. But, I will say that comb is looking pretty suspicious...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. MsMonicaMc

MsMonicaMc New Egg

Mar 19, 2016
    It looks that way to me, as well. Ugh.... Lol. [​IMG] What do u think about this one?

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    That one doesn't seem to have as big of a comb, but again, they are still way too young to say for sure. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm not familiar with the breed but, I didn't think they have feathered legs. Some one else coming along will probably know for sure.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking pullets. The Marans cockerels I've seen here telecast pretty early. But, update us in a few weeks so we can see how things look?

1 person likes this.
  7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think you've got pullets. See my BCM hatch below to see what a male looks like against females at about 4 to 5 weeks of age.

And yes, French Marans have feathered legs...properly feathered is outside of leg down outside toe. Only American Marans are not feathered leg. The French lay the darker eggs.

So, right now, I think you've got 2 FBCM females...watch the top one....if that is male, that comb will really take off in the next week. (I knew roo with FBCM at 2 weeks...it was that noticeable). But some of the girls will be a bit precocious with comb size, but will remain pale yellow until POL. The males will get large yellow combs, often by 2 or 3 weeks of age, then turn red by 6 weeks of age.

LofMc

2 people like this.
  8. MsMonicaMc

MsMonicaMc New Egg

Mar 19, 2016
    do u have a pic of ur hatch?

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Look at my byline below and click on the far right BCM hatch.

10. MsMonicaMc

MsMonicaMc New Egg

Mar 19, 2016
    I can definitely see the difference. Thank you so much for sharing that with me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by