Blue Copper Maran Wants Nothing To Do With Us

Simeo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
North Georgia
Hello, I have a blue copper maran I purchased as a pullet (from an auction... I know I know...) . She was "sweet" when we first had her. She wasn't jumping to be held like our Polish or mille fleur bantams but would tolerate us. Now she avoids us every time we come close to the coop and will not under any circumstances allow us to hold her.

She does hang out with our rooster A LOT. She's like his little groupie. Is this normal of marans? Or do you think this chicken was just abused at the last place she was? She gets along really well with the other chickens and even protects our two bantams from the others.

She's the only chicken we have who's this serious about staying away from us. If she keeps being like this sometime next year after we've hatched some eggs she might end up in the pot... I'm on the fence.
roll.png

Last edited:
All of my fifteen chickens were hand raised from day-olds, cuddled from early on, and all had equal opportunity for affection. They are different breeds and all unique personalities.

The Wyandottes all would rather not be touched at all. The EEs are all snuggle bums. The Sussex all will tolerate being handled, but only one of the four is a cuddle bum, wanting to be held at every opportunity. Etc, etc.

So, just like us humans, some chickens are reserved and some are very affectionate. It's a very individual thing.

But if you haven't had this hen all that long, maybe she'll warm up to you in time, especially if you entice her with treats. I've had adopted hens become cuddle bums even though where they lived before, they received no human handling.

Well this Blue Copper Maran who wanted nothing to do with us escaped the pen the other day (details aside) and starting running for the forest! My wife said "Forget her, just let the coyotes get to her." Now, I wouldn't have had a problem with that if it were only about this chicken, but once the coyotes know there are edible chickens in the area I don't want them to start eyeing my good ones!

I grabbed my shotgun (just in case) and chased it down in the woods and eventually she stopped under a bush. I guess she was tired? So I put down my gun, took off my jacket and tried to grab it up in the jacket.

Just before it was time to throw, she bee lined it through the woods and field back to the coop ramming her head straight into the chicken wire trying to get in. I wrapped her up in my jacket and carried her back into the pen and coop, laying her to roost. I said to her "You stupid chicken! You almost got shot!"

The next two days she laid her first dark chocolate maran eggs. Praise God I didn't shoot her and praise God I was able to catch her!

There is one thing to be said, "It's never boring on the farm!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom