Blue Copper Marans Looking more like a Cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Spitman, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Well this one started out looking like a pullet for sure then about a week ago she started looking More and more Like my Cockerel [​IMG]. so Its got me thinking Ive got to cocks and 0 pullets:he , Oh well hoping Im wrong [​IMG] But my hopes are all but gone take a look tell me what ya think thanks. also if they are both Cockerels which one would you keep, based on what you see !! thanks guys.
    # 1 .[​IMG].
    .[​IMG].
    .[​IMG].

and this is # 2 .[​IMG].
    . [​IMG].
    .[​IMG].
    .[​IMG].
    .[​IMG]

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We have also noticed a difference in the maturation rate of the cockerels. Some say you need to wait til maturity to consider which to keep. We can never tolerate the randy beasts that long!
    I was told choose size first and then go with coloration. i think you need to take in the whole picture but they say size is hardest to achieve. I'd also take how dark the egg it came from was-- if you can tell. We seldom can keep them straight.
    Our last batch of 5 cockerels we kept none. We did give one away as a breeder that had no mottling on the chest and looked generally correct from what we could tell. The rest we processed at 14 weeks. Life was much quieter afterwards.

3. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Definitely both boys. Those red patches on the wings are a dead giveaway. They both are very pretty though! Not sure which I would keep (if I was even allowed to keep a roo that is [​IMG] ). I say wait a while and watch their behavior a while before you decide which one you like the best. [​IMG]

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2

5. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    Both are boys. I have a 16 week old Blue that is rather large but has very little red and it's all on the upper half of her neck...just like all the hens where I got her. The rooster blue had red tinge similar to what your showing.

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:X2

x3

My young cockeral has the same brick red coming in on his wings. I knew he was a boy at 4 weeks due to difference in comb size. He's my only blue with feathered legs, too. Oh well.

7. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Uh, oh! Roosters!!! [​IMG]

8. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Both beautiful boys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by