Blue Copper Marans Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by treekatie, Nov 15, 2011.

1. treekatie

treekatie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Aiken Co., SC
    If I get hatching eggs from Marans that are Black, Blue, and Splash running in the same breeding pen what are the odds that I will get any Blue Copper chicks? I am having trouble understanding the genetics of this. I just know they are beautiful and I want some!

If I understand right, covering a Blue hen with a Black rooster will get Blue Coppers, is that right? Where does the Splash come in? Is it smarter for me to get a Black rooster and Blue hens, then cross those?

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Hi!
    The chances of you getting Blue Copper chicks is pretty darn good. [​IMG]

Blue mated over Black or visa versa, will result in 50 % black offspring and 50% blue offspring.
    Blue mated to Blue will result in all three colors Black, Blue and Splash. 50% blue, 25% black and 25% Splash.
    Splash mated to Black will result in 100% blue offspring produced.
    Splash mated to Splash will produce 100% Splash offspring.
    Blue mated to Splash will produce 50% blue and 50% splash offspring.
    Black mated to Black will produce 100% black offspring.

Splash happens when a bird get 2 copies of the blue gene.

3. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country

Blue mated over Black or visa versa, will result in 50 % black offspring and 50% blue offspring.
    Blue mated to Blue will result in all three colors Black, Blue and Splash. 50% blue, 25% black and 25% Splash.

The only way you will get Blue Coppers from this is if you use Black Copper instead of Black.

4. treekatie

Apr 12, 2010
    Aiken Co., SC
    OK sounds good so far, but what about the copper part? I've seen all blue hens and blue copper hens. It's the blue copper that I'm really wanting. How does that factor in?

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:The Blue Copper and Black Copper work virtually the same . You will have some with no copper and some with copper and you will have variations of the amount of Copper, so hatch a lot of chicks and cull out the ones you do not like.

6. treekatie

Apr 12, 2010
    Aiken Co., SC
    OK Thanks a lot!!!

7. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

The only way you will get Blue Coppers from this is if you use Black Copper instead of Black.

Lol...I jumped the gun and was assuming they were all coppers....Thanks for catching that Don. [​IMG]

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Also know that if you are only hatching a small number, the chances for the different colors all showing up, (Black, Blue, and Splash) may or may not be quite accurate. The larger the numbers you hatch, the better the percentages. Good luck!

9. MicheleC

MicheleC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Ok, have a question. Is it possible to get Wheatons and Blues from Black Copper Stock? I just purchased some BCM babies, and the breeder is new to poultry. Some of the chicks are Wheaton with feathered legs and one was blue also with feathered legs. They have the same look as the bcm's But I thought there needed to be a Wheaton or blue involved to get these. Help!!!

10. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think the main ppl on this subject are offline but it's my understanding that you can get wheaten from BCM. I've read here that in the case of the colors being mixed at some point this can happen.

It's my knowledge you cannot get blues from BCM (Black Copper Marans) as in both parents being BCM.

What color are the parents?

Oh and edited to say [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by