Blue *Cuckoo/barred* mottled cochin chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chelsey, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Chelsey

Chelsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    I have a few blue mottled bantam cochin chicks that appear to have barring on some, but not all of their feathers. They are siblings, hatched from the same pen, but not necessarily from the same hen...there isn't a good way to know at the moment, and the parents aren't my birds. As a matter of fact, I haven't even had these chick a week yet [​IMG] I have other siblings of said birds that do not have any barring, but were hatched at the same time and raised under the same conditions. I've done some searching within this forum on cuckoo and barring, and the lines are not crisp and clear like what a barred rock would be, so maybe cuckoo? I have posted a poor quality picture on a few facebook groups (as Shimmering Quarters Ranch there). so you may have seen this elsewhere. Some have suggested that in this case the barring could be caused by stressors, diet changes, growth, etc. A few links have been provided about feather fret marks and likened it to the purple barring found in black birds as a result of stress. I took some better pictures tonight and thought I'd post them here. If these bars are not cuckoo or barring, I will do what I can to ensure a low-stress environment for these guys to continue to grow so that further bars don't develop, but in the back of my mind I'd sure love to have some cuckoo or barred cochins, and to have them in blue would be just great [​IMG] Thoughts and opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chelsey

Chelsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    No thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by