Blue east indies VS pastel call ducks help me!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
Well, I was thinking maybe if I had enough money, and my mom would let me I would get a few show worthy ducks from holerreadsfarm next spring, but I cant make up my mind on either, blue east indies or pastel call ducks. Anyone with these breeds please will you tell me what you think of them. Thanks!

I hatched out a few pastels from my blue fawn calls this year - they are starting to get their adult feathers and are really getting pretty! Very happy with the pastels - I haven't owned east indies and can't compare the two but I love the calls
smile.png

Quote:
It was either pastel or blue fawn, so if I get blue fawn some of their offspring will come out pastel?

With Blue Fawns you'll get 25% pastel, 25% grey and 50% blue (or it might be 25% blue and 50% grey, I don't remember). I had about an equal number of each color hatch this year though. Fun to hatch and see what color the chick is!

Quote:
Oh boy! You just made my day! I have been wanting all those colors! But I think I will only be able to keep two color, or maybe like a breeding pair of each.

Duckgirl, please read Holderread's site very carefully. As far as I know, he won't ship bantam ducklings and ships the adult bantams in the fall. Very few places will ship bantam ducklings because they are too small to survive shipping.

You'll have to verify that. I haven't ever bought any bantams, but it seems to me that I noticed that on his site.

I've seen his Spotted Australians and the green East Indies, and both were really stunning.

The East Indies will be much easier to raise. Show quality Calls can have difficult hatches, I suspect because of the extra short bills.

For showing, it seems to me that Calls do way more than their share of winning the big prizes. So that is a consideration of you want to show.

It is fun to see what you get out of the blue fawns, I only had one grey pop out of mine and the rest were split between blue fawn and pastel.

Back
Top Bottom