Blue Easter Egger?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Do you think the chicken in the Avatar looks like he could be half blue Easter Egger breed of chicken?

Goldfinches,

It is nearly certain that this rooster's Papa was a white leghorn. Do you think he looks like his Mama could have possibly been a Blue Easter Egger, given that fact?

Goldfinches,

It is nearly certain that this rooster's Papa was a white leghorn. Do you think he looks like his Mama could have possibly been a Blue Easter Egger, given that fact?
Well, it's always possible. He does seem to have a bit of a fluffy face, do you think he has a beard? His coloring is something I saw a lot of in 2012 pictures of hatchery EE's.

Usually, the things I look for to identify an EE are one or more of the following - Beard, green legs, pea comb. I don't see green legs or a pea comb, although when I look at the baby picture you've posted, who I think looks like this guy, it does seem his legs are green.

Have you bred him ever? His offspring's egg color would hopefully let you know if he has EE in him.

Oh, boy! Wouldn't that be fun? My neighbor does keep bugging me to hatch eggs, but I've resisted, since I don't really have the set up for it, but if I had an incubator or could even just send his eggs up to their farm... But if he mated with half white leghorn or Barred Rock hens, would the offspring necessarily have colored eggs? Yes, I think his legs did have some green in them as a baby.

Pips&peeps,

I'm not sure what you mean? You mean, you think my rooster IS an Easter Egger.? Or did you mean an Easter Egger is not a breed? Or that it should be in lower case?

Can you post a better pic of him? My old eyes can't see the details that small!

I'm not seeing easter egger in him. When you cross a pea comb bird (which most easter eggers are) with a straight combed bird you'll get a funky mixed comb, not a nice straight comb like your boy looks to have. My ee/leghorn crosses also have beards/muffs and dark legs, I'm not seeing that on your boy.

It's possible the momma could have had a straight comb, some easter eggers do, but I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks, Donrae.

Can you make out his pretty golden feathers? Do you think it might be more likely that his Mama was a Buff Orpington? Don't they have feathers about the color of his, and would a Buff Orpington mama's feathers win out in the crossing of a white leghorn Papa? Gold feathering instead of white predominating? His sisters have mostly white feathers, and I suspect their Mamas were a Rhode Island Red and possibly a Buff Orpington, because the one has golden feathers the color of his within her mostly white feathers.

What other cross with a white leghorn could result in this pretty golden feathering, do you think? Araucana? Ameraucana? And the blue-gray hackles and wing tips are baffling to me as well?

Back
Top Bottom