blue egg gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hillschicks, Feb 17, 2013.

  1. Hillschicks

    Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    455
    25
    101
    Jul 17, 2012
    Does a chicken need 2 blue egg genes to produce blue eggs or is one significant??
     
  2. ramirezframing

    ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

    9,119
    302
    306
    Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    one copy will work but doesn't grantee it
     
  3. Hillschicks

    Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    455
    25
    101
    Jul 17, 2012
    Mkay...so just because my egger lays blue eggs doesnt mean it carrys enough blue genes to produce an olive egger... It could, but its a dice roll?? Its a shame its so hard to purchase true ameracauna
     
  4. ramirezframing

    ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

    9,119
    302
    306
    Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if you cross a blue to brown you should get an olive egger
     
  5. Hillschicks

    Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    455
    25
    101
    Jul 17, 2012
    Thats the plan, but someone on another thread has cast doubt... They said just because your EE lays blue doesnt mean they have enough blue genes to work for an olive and the chicks could lay brown... Reckon we are just gonna see how it goes :)
     
  6. ramirezframing

    ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

    9,119
    302
    306
    Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    yep sounds like a good plan to me [​IMG]
     
  7. Hillschicks

    Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    455
    25
    101
    Jul 17, 2012
    Its a shame its so hard to find a true ameracuana... Me and the little women have discussed having a seperate area for a single breed... As opposed to our mixed flock we have now... Perhaps when or if we end up doing that we should choose go ameracuana... Maybe get a couple from good bloodlines from a couple different breeders
     
  8. ramirezframing

    ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

    9,119
    302
    306
    Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    now that is a good plan, I try to get from different sources as well with my breeds. Can be a little hard sometimes, but very much worth it in the long run.
     
  9. Hillschicks

    Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    455
    25
    101
    Jul 17, 2012
    Absolutely... I figure if your going to breed and you intend to avoid inbreeding there is nt much choice :)
     
  10. nicalandia

    nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

    6,337
    321
    288
    Jul 16, 2009
    you know whats the beauty of genetics? having to know how a gene behaves.. you are in luck this time my friend. for your Olive egger project I would use an EE hen(to make sure she lays green eggs) as most EE hens lay green eggs instead of blue, this alone will help you achieve the "Olive" egger status alot faster(one generation at least)... so what if she only carry one copy of the blue egg gene? you are in luck because that single copy of the blue egg gene is linked to the Pea comb by 3 to 4 centimorgan(realy realy close) meaning it goes(96% chance) where the pea comb gene goes. so if cross you EE hen to a Welsummer rooster just be in the look out for pea combed pullets. Why? because the O gene will go to those hens. the one with single combs only have 3 to 4 percent chance to getting the single O gene from mother(realy low numbers)
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by