blue egg I can not candle

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tony30536, Oct 16, 2008.

1. tony30536

tony30536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Ellijay Ga.
    I have all colors of eggs in the bator, I can candle all the eggs but one blue egg the light will not go in the shell the other blue eggs I can see in them good , whats up with this egg

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Blue eggs are usually very hard to candle. My suggestion would be to get the room absolutely dark and get a 100 watt bulb, put it on a lamp with no shade and cover it with a box with a small hole in the bottom and make sure the only light you see is coming through that hole. Put the egg over the hole and see if you can see anything that way. If not you may just have to wait till hatch day to find out if there is anything in there. Sorry I couldn't be more help to ya. Good luck and welcome to BYC!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It is sometimes easier for me to candle from the large end of the egg, through the air sac. that way nothing inside the egg will interfere with the light. I haven't had blue eggs, but I have had brown ones, and this is the only way I could candle some of them.

I also do this with my quail eggs, and though I can't see through all of them, I can see through quite a few. Quail eggs are notorious for being hard to candle!

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    i used 2 flashlights on my brown eggs. I set the egg on my led flashlight and then spot lighted it on the top and sides with my mini maglight.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Ah, welcome to the joys of blue eggs. I can only see into one of my three and that one I see better because it's further along and smaller. The other two are mysteries with hints of success, but that's all. And I had to put on my reading glasses to get even that impression. [​IMG]

I'm going to try the double flashlight thing this weekend...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by