Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HallFamilyFarm, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    This thread is intended for the discussion of the two new developments of Blue Egg layers from the University of Arkansas. This is not for discussion on Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas etc. Photos and updates will be added as available to post #1.

From an email ....

Quote: We have a few of the B eggs set in our incubator. Does anyone have photos of these? We are actually looking forward to seeing what these look like and how well they lay. These are not an Easter Egger, per se. But a new breed developed in cooperation with the Unversity of Arkansas.

The commercial leghorn blood is not hatchery lines, but research lines from the commercial industry.

The egg is similar in color to his Auracana eggs and vary from medium to large in size.

We plan on keeping a breeding pen of these and seew hat they reproduce.

Can you imagine a Blue Egg layer that lays like a factory, battery layer[​IMG]

The actual "Blue" eggs from U/A in our incubator:

[​IMG]

Photo below is of the Research Farm and Poultry Science Department.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I had my plans all worked out for my next incubation and now you've got me to thinking. Since I raise mine for meat more than the eggs, these really don't make sense for me to try, but it is intriguing to think about. If anybody can get hold of commercial egg laying breeds for experimentation, I'd think is would be the University of Arkansas.

Do you happen to know if those blue feathered ones are the B/B/S or genetically how Dr. Bramwell got the blue feathering? It does not sound like they are B/B/S if they are all blue-feathering.

3. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    My understanding is he said they look in appearance and color more like an Andalusian. Since you are in his neck of the woods, you should call him and get some. He WILL NOT ship and has a priority for 4H and FFA.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    One of my chicken friends in TN has been making blue EEs crossing BBS ameraucana with leghorns for years. Even the single combed birds lay blue eggs.They're super productive. Its pretty common knowledge about these kind of hybrids, so I am surprised that a university would actually spend time on it. Maybe they were commissioned by the commercial egg industry looking for something new for thier factory farms?

5. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    This is interesting. I may have to contact Mr. Bramwell. I was already thinking about asking for some Black Sumatra eggs from there. Any information on how to approach Mr.Bramwell about getting eggs from the U of A is welcome.

6. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas

These are not just any hatchery run leghorn. UA http://poultryscience.uark.edu has five poultry houses on their experiment farm. Two comercial meat research barns, two commercial egg research barns and Dr. Bramwell's exhibition barn. It is my understanding that a friend started this and shared with him. They do all sorts of research for the industry. Since Dr. Bramwell came from our end of the industry, he still ahs a heart for helping backyard and exhibition folks.

This cross WAS NOT an easter Egger Leghorn cross. It was an Arucauna bred to the breed standard (SOP) and crossed to a specific line of commercial White Leghorn. This line is reserved for the industry and they protect their patents with a passion. A hatchery Leghorn may produce 250-300 eggs a yaer. The commercial Leghorn produces 350+ eggs a year.

My father had a friend that operated an Oklahoma State Unversity vegetable experiment farm in Bixby, Oklahoma. He was permitted lots of space for his "personal" experiments. He developed a hot peper that was determined to be 10 times hotter than a Habenero and was marketed to the commercial food industry.

It seems this Blue Egg layer is such a project and is very interesting. I will post photos when the chicks hatch and as they grow.

The eggs we set were similiar to color to these from http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Fertile-Hatching-Eggs/Hatching-Eggs-Blue-Ameraucana-p629.aspx
    [​IMG]

We were told the Aruacana used was similiar to these from http://www.cashsblueeggs.com/bluearaucana.htm

[​IMG]

And a commercial White Leghorn similar to this site's http://www.hendrix-poultry.nl/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shaver White Parent Stock
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Guess I'll be subscribing to this thread....

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yeah- those pictures are Ameraucanas, and the eggs are from Gabbard Farms blue ameraucanas. Who said anything about non-SOP leghorns?

So basically, U of A doesn;'t known the difference between ameraucanas and araucanas, and they are working on a blue egg layer for commercial egg farms?
    Just one more way to make things even more confusing for people that don't know what true ameraucanas or araucanas are, it sounds like. Kind of the opposite of what BYC promotes, eh?

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

They are just mutts; Cross-breeds, hybrids. Looks like more Production birds..... maybe Productions Blues now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by