blue egg layers!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BIG-BIRD, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BIG-BIRD

BIG-BIRD Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2007
    Hi again,
    for next year I want to get a blue egg layer chicken is there just one kind of layer or is there different kinds, any help would be appreciated.

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    if you are going with a hatchery - the only thing you will be gettin is an EE (Easter Egger). they are mutts, but the hatcheries call them americaunas (instead of ameraucanas) or araucanas. they are neither. an araucana is a rumplesS (tailess) chicken that only lays blue eggs. an ameraucana lays blue/green eggs. EE's can lay pink, brown, white, blue, green eggs. mine is going to lay white :thun

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you want only blue eggs, you either buy an Araucana or a true Ameraucana, both hard to get from a hatchery today.The proper egg color for an Ameraucana is always blue, but some do end up laying blue-green ones, depending on their breeding. Jody (at the link posted by cheeptrick)on here would be the one to talk to, as well as a couple of others. She breeds all three, EEs, Araucanas and Ameraucanas.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  4. BIG-BIRD

BIG-BIRD Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2007
    thankyou very much, I will look into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by