Blue egg layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 8, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Besides the Ameraucana's and Aruacana's are there any other breeds of chickens or other breed of game fowl birds that lay blue eggs? I am asking because I have a friend that was planning on buying a bunch of hatchery birds. I basically told her that from the hatchery you won't get a 'TRUE' Ameraucana or Aruacana and thus are not guaranteed the hatchery EE's will lay the colored blue eggs. I told her you might get a brown egg layer if she purchases from the hatchery. This lady is an older lady and she had this type of bird when she was little. However, I told her the colors that they came in and she said that her birds were none of the colors I mentioned. She said hers looked more like phesants. So, am wondering if the color she had were Silvers, which seem to be closer to the coloring of phesants. Anyone that can give me help on this would be great.

Kim

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Yes, there is another breed. They come out of easter island and some say are the foundation for the 2 chicken breeds you mention. I was reading a post on another site that mention the name and their history. They are in south/central america and are very rare and very expensive. There are some breeders here I believe in your state too. I will check to find the name of them but I know they are on the Henderson's chart for I looked them up after reading the post. HTH

3. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:If you find the info please post it here. I think this friend is set on getting this breed. I want to make sure she gets what she wants, w/in reasonable pricing though. I am assuming this breed you are referring to is neither the Ameraucana or Aruacana, correct?

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
  5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Here's some info on a breeder of a few intersting-sounding breeds of Auracana-likes:
    Clarkes'

Jocelyn Clarke
    Prince Edward Island, Canada

E_MAIL

Rapa Nui, landrace
    black
    wheaten
    BBR
    This is a landrace from easter island and other surrounding islands.It is not show stock and would be of interest to conservation breeders. These are seasonal breeders, so hatching eggs only, and only when available. (males eclipse molt a bit and are infertile part of the year)

Mille Fleurs D'Uccles
    mille fleurs
    Nice show stock. Hatching eggs when available, only have a few pairs.

Quechua
    BBR
    wheaten
    There are several family lines, some large fowl, some quite small, some dark skinned (Olmec quechua)and some white skinned. These are a landrace also and from several sources, Canadian and European. Hatching eggs in season

Quetro
    black
    blue
    These are one of the ancestors of the modern, domestic araucana. slender, often tufted, always tailed, often black, from Chile. Hatching eggs only​

6. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Thanks Cybecat and SeaChick. I found what the breed you were referring to. I believe I found it on the Poultry Site too.

Kim

7. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Re: Trayvon Martin vs. George Zimmerman ....

AMajor Tapatalk Fail .....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by