1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue egg laying breed questions.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Citron_d'uccle, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Citron_d'uccle

Citron_d'uccle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    What breeds lay a medium to dark blue egg? I know Ameraucana and Araucana breeds lay a blue egg, but most eggs I have seen are light blue. I am interested in darker blue eggs. Anyone know where to buy these breeds? Thanks.

2. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Good question. I know some Ameraucana breeders have succeeded in breeding for a stronger blue egg color, but it is at most Robin's egg blue. Very attractive, but I wouldn't call it dark.

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    As in, Indian Myna blue? Cause as far as I know, none yet... [​IMG]

4. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Try emus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Now the question arises how to cross an emu with a chicken [​IMG]

Seriously though, I wonder how much the blue depends on if it's a single or double dose of the blue egg laying gene...
    Are eggs of birds with a double dose of the gene "more" blue and is it possible to tell the difference in O/o vs. O/O by the shade/deepness of the blue?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A chicken with a darker blue egg?

Each strain differs, if you want the darkest/richest most people know of, go for Blue Wheaten/Wheaten Ameraucanas, preferably from Jean Ribbeck's or Peachick's birds. They're not the BLUEst but they sure are the richest!

8. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I LOVE EMU EGGS! I have a blown one sitting on my desk where I can look at it every day! I like to think of it sort of like my crystal ball...I mean crystal egg. [​IMG] Emu eggs are GORGEOUS! Simply Gorgeous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by