1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue-Egg Laying Sex-Links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wishapup, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Hello,

I'm interested in learning about genetics and am wondering if there is any way to create a blue egg laying sex-linked bird using specific colours of Ameraucanas or other breeds.

I've read the sex-link chart from the thread, and I'm already planning to hatch my own BSLs (Orpington/Rock). However, getting a specifically blue-egg laying chicken is more complicated, since there would be brown/white egg genes added presumably, and the Easter Egger/Ameraucana issues would add to the difficulty of making sure to start out with a chicken that is homozygous for the blue egg laying genes.

I do know about Cream Legbars, but I love genetics projects and I think that my chance of getting Cream Legbars is slim anyway.

Would I begin with a black or brown red Ameraucana rooster over a Barred Rock? Sex-links do not breed true, so even if I had sex-linked F1s the problem would be in making sure all progeny laid blue.

Hatcheries sell brown and white egg laying sex-link hybrids, but is it impossible to create a blue egg laying one?

Thank you [​IMG]

2. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

i dont know much about sex linking, but if you cross a blue egg layer with a brown one, you will get green eggs. I think the best way to start this project is by learning about the cream legbar breed. They're basically what you are looking for.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

black ameraucana x barred holland = F1 black sex linked blue egg layer the barred holland would have to produce a white egg- most do but some may produce a tinted egg

F1 black sex linked male x black ameraucana = some purebred BC! blue egg layers pick out the BC1 barred females with pea combs they are purebred for blue egg

black amerucana x BC1 barred purebred blue egg females= all purebred blue egg layers that are black sex links (males will carry two blue egg shell genes)

cross a wheaten male ameraucana x a silver duck wing ameraucana ( she should have a salmon breast) = red sex links there are better crosses but you should get wheaten down chicks from the cross which would sex very easily-

tim

1 person likes this.
  4. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you so much for the responses, and sorry about the late reply!

FVRM, I am interested in Cream Legbars. I'll have to see if that's a possibility at some point.

Tim, that genetic information is just what I was looking for. What does the term "BC" mean, though, in your abbreviations? [​IMG]

It also looks like the "easiest" cross would be the wheaten x silver duckwing...though the silver duckwing hen might be hard to get a hold of.

Would the silver duckwing hen on this webpage (scroll down) that I found online be a good example of the right colour? (This is an Araucana, not an Ameraucana).

Thanks again!

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

BC1 the first generation from a back cross the black ameraucana is back crossed with a first generation offspring

yes the silver hen would work/ use a wheaten male this should produce chicks with wheaten down but the cross does not always do this/ you may get false wild type down on the chicks which is not as accurate as the wheaten down to sex

tim

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Cross a black ameraucana rooster with California grey or barred leghorn hens. You will get sex linked chicks that lay blue eggs.

1 person likes this.
  7. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the responses - very helpful! I saw mentioned on another thread that one cross could be a Lavender Ameraucana crossed with a Barred EE. I wonder if this would work as well.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You could cross any color Ameraucana with a barred EE and get sex links--it's the blue egg part that might be tricky. Whatever made the barred part of the EE usually has brown egg genes, so the barred EE usually lays green eggs. Your offspring would lay a variety of green with some blue, from my understanding.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    That makes sense, donrae. Would it even work with a black or blue Ameraucana? (x Barred EE)

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, any non-barred bird, thus any recognized color of Ameraucana over a barred hen will give sex links.

My understanding is some lighter colored birds may make it hard to see the white head spot that indicated males, but I think as long as your female is black barred the chick should be dark enough.

Oh yeah---any color but white, that is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by