blue egg ????????? (rgw jokes on me)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by panner123, Jan 29, 2008.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    My grand children and I have NOT had a colored egg laying hen in over two years. Yet today while collecting the eggs, I found a blue egg. This one has me puzzled. I know or think I know that a chicken's eggs will not change color. I wasn't able to check out all the hens because of the snow strom. The only thing I can come up with is, someone put a hen in my yard as a joke. Unless someone can tell me they have had a chicken's egg color change, I don't know what to think. And NO I wasn't in the brandy bottle at the time, now is a different story.

A neighbor came over to help me collect the eggs today, it was all he could do to keep a straight face as he asked me about different colored eggs. When I told and showed him the blue egg, he started laughing. Then he told me that he had placed the egg in the nest box. You know what they say about pay back, it is a [email protected]#$%. And I will get mine.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Thats funny!
    Is it possible that you have a hen that just started to lay?

3. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Hey, Panner,
    I know what's happening. My EEs are fllying over to your place to lay their eggs, cause they sure aren't doing it here:lol:
    Hope you enjoyed the snow!
    Liz

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    nope they can change tint from shades of lighter to darker like cream to tan or vise versa but not like from a brown egg to a blue.

silkie

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How positive are you that one of your girls doesn't have an EE in her lineage?

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:Liz, you know your hens would get lost in all this snow. We keep our coops heated and a light on 24/7, so our egg production is still holding up.

MissPrissy, we haven't had an EE'er in over two years. Not since a bobcat
    took the last one we had and the kids didn't want any more. All our hens have been laying for at least a year, with only brown and white eggs.

Like Liz said, a hen could have come visiting. I may not see all the chickens for a week or more, for they run free on fifteen acres.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ohhhh! You've got one of those mysterious mexican chickens* but yours is laying blue instead of green eggs!

(in reference to a news report on the AP)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by