Blue egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by J.stinson, Mar 20, 2018.

1. J.stinson

J.stinson In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    I have 6 black hens with a green tint to feathers and 1 Rhode island red. One of them is laying a blue egg and I can't figure it out. I thought only a few breeds laid blue eggs.

2. Sdominique

Sdominique Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    Henry, Tennessee
    Could be one of your black chickens is an Americana or mix. I used to have a black hen that looked liked an Australorp except for the feather Tufts on the sides of her head and she layed big greenish blue eggs.

3. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I would call that an Easter Egger - Easter eggers are any chicken that has the colored egg gene which includes a chance of blue/green eggs. As far as i'm aware, a chicken's outward appearance does not dictate whether or not it is an Easter Egger - just the egg color genetics.

4. along76

along76 Hatching

Mar 20, 2018
    Araucaunas and Americanas and are breeds with black variety feathers that can lay blue-green eggs, among other colors including brown, yellow, white, and pink. If your hens have any Araucanan or Americanan genetics, that would be a fair explanation as to why the eggs might be that color.

5. J.stinson

J.stinson In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    Thank you! They are beautiful birds and very friendly

6. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    That's not the case... what you describe is an Easter Egger. A true bred Araucuana or Amerucuana are blue layers. And Unfortunetly with hatcheries selling their EEs mislabeled as Arucuan or Amerucuan, more and more people are going with the mis-labeling.

@J.stinson , post some pics of your girls... I bet one is either an EE or an Amerucuan. Where did you get your girls...

Oh, and Welcome to Back Yard Chickens!!!! So glad you could join us!!!
    :welcome
    :frow:wee:frow
    hi chicken.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Trish1974 likes this.
  7. J.stinson

J.stinson In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    Not the best pic of them, trying to get the green sheen on feathers. Of course its not penny the Rhode island red but she wanted to be in the picture.

Attached Files:

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Need to see the face.
    That second pic is a cockbird?

9. Arla

Arla Chirping

Mar 15, 2018
    New England
    Like many have said you have an Easter Egger! I can't help much further than that but CONGRATS on your EE! :woot

10. J.stinson

J.stinson In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2018
    Black bird

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: