Blue egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I just collected eggs and had another blue one. I know the hen that did this one cuz I was cleaning out under the roost and saw her on the nest. I stopped and let her have her privacy. She one of the two RIR's I bought. Well I've decided they are production reds. What something else could she be mixed with for her to be switching back and forth from blue to brown.I thought it was the Black Sexlink laying the blue one but not so. And no, she does not have blue feathers behind her ear. They are red.

Weird.

OK. I'm having a problem telling the difference in color when it's get to such soft shades. Someone please me what color this is.
    [​IMG]

And this is the hen that layed it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Aracona or ee is the pnly thing I know of but I could b wrong alao are ypu sure its a blue egg and ia cplor all tje way tjrew to inside of. Egg?

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I am no expert, but it is my understanding that blue is recessive and if you have an blue egg layer and a brown egg layer crossed hen, she will lay either green or brown eggs. No hen will alternate blue and brown eggs, it's physically impossible. My guess is that that egg was already in the nest when the hen you saw went in. Could it be a greenish blue egg? In that case it would make more sense. There is an EE in the woodpile! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You've got an Easter Egger running around. [​IMG]

berkeleysprings - You forgot Ameraucanas! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your egg is green though. Blue is not technically recessive, its just that when crossed with brown, you get blue eggs with a brown coating, which makes green eggs.

5. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Shows ya what I know I thought ee were americanas lol or ee were imperfect americanas but. Kinda the same lol lol

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Really? I thought you knew.

Easter Eggers are mutts, most unrelated to Ameraucanas but they do lay colored eggs.

Ameraucanas are a purebred, APA recognized breed.

Same with Araucanas - purebred, APA recognized, but rarer.

I thought since you bred French Marans you were exposed to this info, being that they're often crossed with the three for Olive Eggers, and being that most Marans owners want colored eggs too.

Shows what I know. [​IMG]

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Can anybody tell me what color the egg is?

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Thats green.

9. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Im under the understanding they cant switch egg color, its one or the other, she may have sat on that egg already in the nest. somebody is tricking you!!![​IMG]

10. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    The egg appears to be a blue-green with a light olive hue.

But computer monitors vary so much it is just what I see. The live color may be different.

Beautiful egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by