blue eggs from male or female EE genes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by becstalls, Jun 13, 2010.

1. becstalls

becstalls Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Hi all! I'm extremely new to all this, and I'm sure this has been asked before, I just can't come up with the correct search criteria. When crossing an EE to another breed, will a (female EE x male something else) or a (female something else x male EE) produce offspring that lay blue eggs? For some reason I've gotten the impression that it's the female something else x male EE that will do it. Thanks guys!!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:If the male was hatched from a colored egg then it is highly likely he will pass that gene on:)

3. becstalls

May 22, 2010
    Thanks! So do the females ever pass the gene on to their daughters?

4. Hi! Yes, I think it works either way.
    I copied this a while back (to help me wrap my head around it):
    Blue Egg Genetics

The gene for blue eggs O is dominant, birds that have either O/O or O/o+ will have the gene.

This gene is located extremely close to the pea comb gene P, again a dominant so either P/P or P/r+ will be pea combed.

These genes are nearly always inherited together. So any pea combed pullets are very likely to lay blue/green based eggs.

Green to Khaki eggs are blue eggs with a surface coating of brown pigment.

Daughters of:

A blue egg O/O male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay paler blue eggs.

A blue egg O/O male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay green eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some blue eggs and some white eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some green/khaki eggs and some brown eggs.

In my limited experience, the results have been the same if you exchange male for female:
    A blue egg O/O 'female' mated to a white egg 'male' o+/o+ could be expected to lay paler blue eggs...
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Lisa-you rock Ive been looking for that chart! thank you~

6. Hi! Dense as a ROCK maybe, hahaha. Whenever I run across those tidbits someone with expertise in poultry genetics has posted, I copy them down to refer to later. This page has some of the pertinent info for my barred/blue barred green-eggers.
    I apologize that I never remember 'who posted what' to give them credit.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Lisa,

I slapped that under my "favorites" on my computer to go back too:) thanks again:)

8. becstalls

May 22, 2010
    You guys are all awesome! [​IMG] Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by