Blue eggs from Mutts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by badflash, Mar 17, 2015.

1. badflash

badflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I couldn't find anything closer.

I have a very strange chicken. She has a face like a hawk, normal body and blue legs. Her mother is half white leghorn, and half turken. The mother does not have a naked kneck, but her sister does. She lays white eggs. The rooster is half Wellsumer, half Americauna. It took the hawk faced hen 9 months to start laying, but now that she is she is laying light blue eggs. Her sister is dark gray and has yet to lay an egg. I'm hoping her's will be blue too. Is this to be expected or just a fluke?

I'm planning on hatching more this summer if the outcome can be expected to be the same.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The blue egg gene is dominant, so I'm guessing she picked it up from her sire.

3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    O - blue egg o-non blue egg
    one parent other parent
    OO oo = all blue egg layers
    Oo oo = 50 percent blue egg layers
    oo oo = no blue egg layers
    OO OO = all blue egg layers

If I do the math correctly you have a Oo male parent and an oo female parent. That would give you a 50/50 of the blue gene being in any particular offspring.

Then you need to add brown into the equation which is independent from blue all together. Blue+Brown makes some shade of "greenish".

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by