blue eggs

lexustami

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
St. Clairsville, OH
I have a question. I ordered some hatching eggs from someone who said their eggs are sky blue. I got the eggs yesterday and they look green to me. Sky blue to me is well... the color of the sky.

Is there a different color scale when it comes to eggs?

Thanks to those who may know!

Tami

No, they just sold you green eggs. Maybe they are bluer than the olive green ones but the color is up to the person that sees it.

If you are looking for blue eggs in the offspring, good luck unless they have proven it through their hen rooster matings. Unfortunately egg shell color is part rooster genes, and roosters don't lay eggs.

There are true blue eggs. The green comes from a layer of brown pigment that covers the egg before it's layed, and some hens don't have this. I know with some of my EE's, the brown color can be scrubbed off sometimes when I'm washing the eggs. I think there must be two different things going on with that though, because sometimes the shell itself is more green than blue.

I have one hen that lays the most beautiful blue egg, then a few others that lay anywhere from pale blue, to turquoise, to olive green. It just depends on what combination of genes each girl has.

Do you happen to have pictures of your blue eggs?

I will come back and edit this post with pictures of the eggs she shipped me.

Thanks.

Tami

Last edited:
I have a theory that men and women see color differently, for one thing. My husband sees my coops as gray painted and they are definitely a greenish-gray, not plain gray. We argue about it all the time, but my digital camera makes all the pictures of them look almost blue.
I try to put my eggs against my steel-wool gray house to see if they look blue or green. Depending on which girl laid it and what day, it seems, sometimes it "reads" blue, sometimes it "reads" green-blue and when they fade in color, it seems almost mint green with the slightest hint of blue. One of mine lays an egg that would definitely be called light sky blue and the other has a hint of green in her bluish eggs. Color certainly is in the eye of the beholder, to a degree.

Cynthia,

I was just looking at the pictures I took of the eggs and they almost do look blueish in the pictures but they look green when they are right in front of me.

I guess without actually seeing a true blue egg I won't know if they are sky blue or if they are green.

I know if I went outside and told my neighbors that I thought my grass was a pretty sky blue they would think I was crazy.

I am betting that my eye sight is good and that they are green but because this breeder really wants her eggs to be blue and she is telling everyone her eggs are blue that people who have never seen blue eggs believe it.

I think that is probably the bigger problem. People want their birds to be extra special and will fib just a little bit on something like this.

Take care,

Tami

I got them on Eggbid.

This is funny and just reenforces what Cynthia said in her last post.

My husband just came home and I asked him to tell me what color he thought the eggs were. He said BLUE. LOL

I'm going to try this with my kids when they get home. I wonder if the girls will have a different answer from the boys.

So... maybe I do have blue eggs and I'm the only one who doesn't know it.

Take care,

Tami

Back
Top Bottom