Blue eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stephanie1992, Dec 17, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

I cant see clearly inside my blue and blue/green eggs when i candle. i donth know what are good or bad. nothing stinks yet. how do i know the good from the bad. i see dark masses in them. there on day 7. i also have 2 olive eggs i cant see anything in them and there on day 11. shell is way to dark. do i just leave them till lockdown? is it safe to leave them that long?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The dark masses are usually chicks! Don't worry too much if you can't see too well. There isn't much you can do about it. Just wait for the hatch and sounds like you will be pleasantly surprised. If you find one that stinks, get rid of it. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    If you candle before lockdown, you'll be able to clearly see the good from the bad!! The whole egg will basically be full and dark...the others will be easy to identify. Not sure on the olive eggers....I know people have different ways of making their own candler and are able to candle chocolate eggs as well! Good luck on your hatch!!

4. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    The dark eggs can be difficult to candle early. I use a 150 watt lightbulb to candle.

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i candled my blue eggs. i can tell 3 have growth. the other 7 dont seem to have anything. but im leaving them. the two olive eggs are very hard to see in. all i can see is air cells but thos look about right for the stage there at soo im hopfull for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by